Chapter 21: Cry A River

As soon as Nick leave my house, I shut and lock the door and pick up my phone to call my friends. I know it won't take long before he will be home and he did warn me just as I closed the door to not try anything that would get him in trouble.

First, I dial Lindsey's number and talk - freely - with her for a few minutes before I worry that Nick might be watching me and then hang up. I know that I could leave the house but I also know that he might get the wrong, or maybe right, idea of what I'm about to do then. Instead, I go to the living room and plop down on the couch and turn on the tv. With the latest episode of one of my favorite shows playing, I check my messages on my phone and quickly answer them. One text, from Jamie, catches my full attention and I feel myself stiffen at the five words that he'd written:

From: Jamie

To: Celiné (Alex)

WE NEED TO TALK ASAP.

I bite myself in my bottom lip and stare at the phone screen for a long time, not knowing what to do. Should I call him? Meet up with him? Stay home?

After some more thinking time, I reply to his message.

From: Celiné (Alex)

To: Jamie

Is it important? I'm kind of busy... /:

I put my phone on the couch beside me and focus on the tv for a few minutes before the screen light up again, signaling that I got a new message. Without pausing the show, I read the new text.

From: Jamie

To: Celiné (Alex)

It's important. Are you home?

With furrowed eyebrows, I text back.

From: Celiné (Alex)

To: Jamie

Yeah, why?

This time, I don't even have time to put my phone away before the screen light up again.

From: Jamie

To: Celiné (Alex)

I'll be right over.

"No..." I whisper as I read his word and quickly, I text him the exact same words as I just uttered, followed by another message where I give him a false explanation to why I can't have him over. However, he doesn't reply and I feel the panic begin to rise inside of me. He can't come here, not with Nick being able to hear us. If Jamie says he wants to talk, and when he seems to be so eager about it, it got to be something serious.

I try to call him but I wait for nothing when his voice mail eventually goes on.

"Freaking fish..." I mumble, still censoring my words without even realizing it.

I pace back and forth in my hallway for a few minutes before the doorbell rings. I practically throw myself at the door and meet a surprised Jamie.

"Finally!" I say and force smile on my lips. "You were supposed to be here twenty minutes ago, I've been pacing back and forth like crazy, waiting for you to come!" His face shows surprise and confusion and I understand him to 100%. I know that my words don't make sense but I have to pretend that I've made plans with him, in case Nick is watching us.