Chapter 38: Revenge Is Sweet

This chapter contains themes that some readers may find upsetting and/or disturbing due to nudity and sexual assault

I don't know how long time that passed. I don't know how long I've been in the ice cold water. It could've passed hours by now, or maybe only minutes.

The cold water seems to have frozen the time.

My tears are gone, I do no longer cry. The lake has gotten a few drops richer.

The sun is hiding behind the trees, not bothering to help to warm up a poor soul.

Kirk is safe and sound on dry land, taunting me without even knowing it.

I try to think about something, anything, but my brain doesn't want to cooperate.

My lips have turned a shade of blue and my face has gone a few shades paler.

I want to scream in hope of that it will light a spark inside of me, in hope that it will warm me up from my inside, but at the same time, I want to simply close my eyes and embrace the cold.

Sighing, I let my eyelids close but I don't fall backward, I don't embrace the cold.

Not yet.

Just a few more min-

"What the hell?!" a voice shouts before I have time to mentally finish the sentence.

My eyes reluctantly open up again to find Nick appearing by the trees not too far away. He quickly comes closer and I realize he must be running.

"Alex, get out of the water!" he yells at me but all I can do is keep looking at him. My body stopped listening to me a long time ago.

"Kirk, what have you done?!" he shouts as he get's into the water and quickly approaches me.

He drapes one arm around my waist, not even looking at my body, and put the other one under my legs, pressing me tightly against his chest, and carry me out of the water.

Danny and Zeke run towards us and Nick don't waste a second but practically shove me into Zeke's arms before he takes off his jacket and drapes it around my bare upper body. He then takes me back and sits down, placing me in his lap.

He frequently rubs his hands up and down my arms and back, trying to make me warm. It doesn't work very well though, his jacket is too thick and it's only good at maintaining warmth, not creating it, and it's something Nick soon realize.

"Damn it..." he mutters as he looks around, trying to figure something out. Without even hinting at it, he kisses my lips and curses again.

"You're ice cold."

Behind me, I can hear angry shouts but I don't listen to what they say. All my focus is on Nick and getting warm.

"I can make it to the tent in two or three minutes if I run", Nick mumble to himself before his gaze lands on me.

"Hang on a few more minutes, okay? I'll make you warm again." He doesn't wait for an answer and carefully stand up with me in his arms, telling me to hold on tight right before he sprints off in the direction of the camp.

He's right, it does take him around two or three minutes to reach the camp but I'm still freezing cold. My hair and tights are completely damp and even my bones are as cold as ice.

Nick kneel down in front of the tent and open it up before we get in.

"You won't like what I'm gonna say next", he says, "but you have to get out of your wet clothes."