Prologue

She could feel her heart racing as she ran through the woods, branches scratching at her bare arms. Tall, looming pine trees surrounded her as she tried to find her way out of this wood maze. The Wolf was bounding towards her with saliva dripping from its mouth.

The Wolf wasn't a wolf - at least that's what she concluded. No wolf would have such empty and dreadful eyes. Mortem, the word echoed into her head, death. It stood on its hind legs and howled a vicious and eternal howl then began its hunt again. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead, an ancient and powerful power enveloping her body. The familiar light and warmth encased her as she turned to face the creature.

It was made out of the pit of hell itself, stealing energy from lost and tortured souls. This was the first time she had encountered one that took the shape of a wolf. None the less, she knew what she had to do. Summoning the power from deep within her, she pushed her hands forwards, palms facing the wolf. It growled deeply and took taunting, silent steps towards her. She was the prey and it was the predator. We'll see about that.

Seconds felt like hours as she stood staring at it. Its midnight black fur glowed in the moonlight, its endless crimson eyes board into her toffee coloured ones. Silence. The entire forest grew silent, no wild life scurrying across the forest floor, no wind blowing against her, silence.

Its muscular body pounced towards her at threatening speed. She swung her body to the side then brought her arm down on its torso. It let out a whimper before she kicked it with all her force. It smacked against the tree a few meters away. She grabbed a wooden stick from the ground as it ran towards her once more. She shoved the stick into its mouth, it being the only thing holding it back from biting off her head. Witch, it growled, its foul breath fanning against her cheeks. She wrinkled her nose and threw it off her.

Her power surfaced and she directed it towards it. She spoke the word of Power in her mind. Ignium! Pure white flames erupted from her hands in waves. As she thought, she wasn't burning flesh and bone - she was tearing at darkness itself. Her spell wouldn't last much longer but she pushed all her strength into it. Her grandmother taught her this spell and was told not to use it unless fighting death. The flames were light and warmth which cleansed the dark and impure - it wouldn't work on anything else.

The death in the air subsided, the flames only subsiding then. The Wolf was gone, all traces of its existence scattered in the air. Her clothes were ripped and no doubt her hair was a tangled, auburn mess. Even with her body aching and scratches all over her body, Evangeline breathed a sigh of relief that her body was still intact.

*********************************