Chapter Eight

"Can we please take a break? My feet are on the verge of falling off," Evangeline said for the umpteenth time for the past hour.

"We've already had three. I would rather sleep in a dangerous-free place tonight so if you feel the same, stop complaining and walk."

Coal kept up a straight, determined face but he really didn't know what he was doing. He didn't know how long it would take to reach Melisandre, didn't know if they would survive the journey, didn't know if they would survive the destination. Victoria's word came back to him: Be careful with her, don't let her appearance deceive you. She will test you - the both of you - to see your worth. She will either welcome you or throw you to the Mortem. He didn't have much of a choice, they couldn't go anywhere else. No one else would protect them. Of course, they would have to prove themselves in order to be protected. He glanced back at Evangeline.

Her feet were knee deep in snow, her copper skin turned a shade lighter and her teeth were clattering violently together. He realised he might be pushing her too far when he finally allowed them to rest. He sat her down on a log and went to find sticks for a fire. When he returned, Evangeline had rapped herself in her winter coat, her body dwarfed in its size. Coal had given her his scarf and gloves, now only wearing his shirt, jeans and some shoes. He was practically naked with the protection it was giving him against the harsh winds. Though Coal didn't mind, in fact he couldn't feel it. It was as though it was the middle of spring for him. The sharp winds effected him, however, but nothing he couldn't resist with his wings.

He started a small fire and eventually it grew to a size that Coal didn't need to protect it from the cold. He sat beside Evangeline, savouring the silence of the forest. The snow seemed to drown out all the noise as he breathed fresh air. He lived in the busy, cramped city of New York and the frosty temperatures prevented him from truly admiring the beauty of snow. Now, in the forest were he couldn't feel the harsh elements, the white freckles of ice that fell from the sky was nothing less then majestic.

Evangeline certainly didn't see it that way. Her toes were frozen, her hair was damp and the empty whole inside her didn't leave. The thought of her grandmother brought tears to her eyes but she was determined to not let a single drop spill. This was not the place or the time to mourn. She would have time for that later. Now, she had to focus on what she was doing. Coal had filled her in on where they were going and the dangers in between. It was only on rare occasions Mortem entered places with densely populated people. Only the truly malicious and ancient creatures stayed in the forest, lurking and plotting as they devoured anyone stupid enough to enter the forest. Mortem could come in any form: humans, sea animals, insects and any other creature that could cause harm. They were pure evil, made from the pits of hell itself. Now Evangeline was walking straight into their territory completely unprepared.

As minutes passed, Evangeline finally caught her breathe and was determined to not rest until they reached Melisandre. The forest in the middle of winter was not the place to rest. Stepping on the fire, they continued their venture into the forest. Conversation between Coal and Evangeline died out, partially because Evangeline was in no mood to talk and mostly because the severity of where they were was finally dawning on the both of them.

They were silent as they continued their steps, only the crunches of snow beneath their feet echoing around them. A rustle came from behind a large bush beside them. Almost immediately, Evangeline leaped onto Coals back and clung to him like her life depended on it. Instinctively, she called upon her powers, dark clouds emitted from her hand and she was prepared to attack. When the rustle grew louder, Evangeline started making prayers. However, when a snowshoe hare leaped out before them, they just stared at it. Slowly loosening her grip on Coal, she stepped off with embarrassment. She called herself a witch but was quick to be reduced to making prayers to ensure her death was quick.

Coal burst out laughing causing her embarrassment to grow. She walked on ahead, leaving Coal behind. For ten minutes, he laughed though Evangeline could tell he was only doing it to annoy her. Just when she couldn't take it anymore, Coal froze.

"Evangeline," he whispered, "come here."

She slowly turned and faced him, conscious of the sense of death all around her. She silently made her way towards him and knelt. Then she saw it, the source of her nightmares for a few months after. A large crate opened up before them, 50 metres deep and an overwhelming distance wide. Evangeline felt her breath catch in her throat as she gazed at the hundreds of thousands of Mortem below them. They stood in lines according to their type of species: humans, beasts, creatures with wings, abominations Evangeline had never seen before. They all were surrounded by a black haze of death as protection. Even now, Evangeline could only see parts of them, most of their bodies enveloped in darkness. She had to tell herself to breath and to not make any sound as she turned to face Coal. He was stricken with terror as he gripped his knees so hard that his knuckles turned white. If she didn't leave right then, they would have been noticed. She gently grabbed Coal by his wrist and slowly pulled them away from the horrifying site. The Mortem were gathering and that could be nothing but catastrophic. Evangeline didn't know it then but the events she had just witnessed may be the end of supernatural existence.

***

Hours went by, only stopping to drink water and to eat food. Colour returned to Coal's face when they flew for a while. They didn't stay up there too long however, the air too thin and cold for them to last very long. When the sun began to set, they stepped out the forest. A wooden cottage stood at the top of a hill, a warm light emitting from it as they approached. Taking a deep breath, Evangeline and Coal slipped through the door.

____________________________

Sorry for the long wait. Enjoy the chapter and don't forget to

Vote

Comment

And Enjoy 😊