Chapter 3: Meet Someone Famous

I think Linda had contemplated killing us more than once over the past two days. Firstly, for the male stripper at her bachelorette. Secondly, for being ridiculously hung over for the wedding rehearsal last night. Thirdly, because Gab just sneezed during her vows.

All eyes were on the bride and groom, but I still felt ridiculously scrutinized standing up hear by the alter in front of all these people. We all looked stunning, I thought the different colours of the bridesmaid’s dresses would make us look like a tacky rainbow, but instead the different perfectly complimented each other, all our hair was out and softly waved, and even though we all have extremely different looks normally, Linda had somehow managed to make all three of us look perfectly identical through the hair and make up she wanted us to have.

I’d never been prouder to call her my best friend, her blonde hair was entwined into a loose braid that fell down her shoulder, her beautiful white dress was way too flattering and I could see the best man’s eyes sneaking a peek at her. I rolled my eyes at him, the brother of the groom and he stuck his tongue out at me from across the aisle where we stood on either side of the bride and groom.

The dress was nothing short of amazing, a white overlay with flower design’s embedded into it that fell over the shorter part of the solid white dress underneath.

The ceremony itself was rather boring, despite Gab’s unfortunate sneeze, which she would be teased about for the rest of her life by us three no doubt.

The reception on the other hand, was the complete opposite of boring. It was held out in the garden of the Estate, under a marque and intricately decorated with fair lights. The DJ was my music soul mate, every song he played I was loving, Gab and I had not left the dance floor since dinner, except when we were hit on. Stupid stereotype of being a bridesmaid, everyone thinks you’re an easy target. ‘Always a bridesmaid never a bride’ was so far accurate in my life, I couldn’t imagine getting married, but I can already see way into the future to Gemma and Ash’s wedding, and Gab’s wedding, whoever she marries.

The song changed and Gab excused herself to go get some water, leaving me dancing alone amongst a few other people. I recognised the music immediately as Chocolate, by the 1975. “I love this song!” I drunkenly exclaimed. So maybe we had left the dance floor a few times, but only to top up our champagne.

“Me too.” An unfamiliar voice sounded in my ears from behind, causing me to spin around. My jaw fell to the ground as I took in the appearance in front of me. Black curly hair, but the side of his head had been shaved, causing a very messy look but fuck me, it was Matt Healy. Oh my god. His white dress shirt was a mess, the top few buttons undone and it was falling out of the pants it had been tucked in to. He’s holding a cigarette in his hand as he dances to his own song, taking a draw every now and again.  I grin, knowing I can now tick of ‘Meet someone famous' off my list, I’d told myself that One Direction definitely didn’t count, but fuck me the 1975 does.

“Hi.” I say, realising I’m batting my eyelashes shamelessly as I dance next to FUCKING MATT HEALY. What is he even doing here?

When the song finishes, I have finally picked my jaw off the floor because I expect him to turn around and walk away.

“Need another drink?” He asks, his voice is so calm, immediately relaxing, like I could just fall asleep listening to his voice talk to me. He gestures to the empty champagne flute in my hand after I don’t answer him.

“Oh, yes.” I answer, sounding completely stupid I’m sure. How am I not used to interacting with A-listers? I never cared about One Direction, or little mix or anyone else I’ve met.

I follow him to the bar and he hands me a new Champagne flute, full of champagne. “Thanks.”

“No worries.” He says, leaning against the bar and bringing his cigarette to his lips. He looks like something out of a magazine, there’s this aura of cool about him but it’s like he’s not even trying.