Chapter 7: Get drunk in Ireland

“You must’ve been tired.” Harry nods at me as I stand in the doorway of his kitchen after emerging from the spare bedroom the next morning.

“Mmm. I was.” I don’t remember falling asleep in the spare room, but I’m thankful Harry put me there rather than in his bed. Maybe he is starting to understand this whole ‘friends’ thing.

“Coffee?” He hands me a mug before I can say no, as if I would have.

“Ta.” I take the steaming mug, taking a seat next to him at the kitchen bench.

“What are your plans for today?” He asks, dipping a biscuit into his coffee.

“Nothing really, I’m a free agent these days. What are you doing?”
“I actually have a date.” He says cautiously, looking into his coffee as if it holds some sort of magical answer to life.

“Since when do you date?”

“Since I was single, I guess.” He shrugs, not meeting my gaze.

“Who with?”

“You wouldn’t know her.” He shrugs again. Starting to get really sick of people shrugging.

“So it is a her then.” I smirk, feeling like a joke is exactly what we need right now. It’s…almost not awkward, but it’s almost extremely awkward at the same time. I don’t really know what to think. I want to know who he’s going on a date with, what they’re doing, where he’s taking her…

“Of course it’s a her… that was one time!” He jokes and I laugh, as much as his fans would love to believe he’s gay, he isn’t. I kind of wish he was though, would make my life so much easier.

“You’re…you’re okay with that aren’t you? I mean if we’re going to be friends I should be able to talk to you about this kind of stuff…” He murmurs.

“Yeah, it’s fine. I don’t really understand why you’re dating though…” I say, cringing mentally at myself, I would sound so jealous. I’m not though. He should date.

“Well…I don’t know, it’s not like I’m looking for the person I’m going to spend the rest of my life with. There’s only one person fit for that role…but on the off chance that she doesn’t choose me, maybe I need some sort of back up.”

“That sounds so pointless.”

“Because she’s going to choose me…eventually?” He says, his voice hopeful.

“No, that’s not what I meant. I just mean, if you are going into it with that mind frame, you’re never going to find someone worth your time.”

“Hmm. I guess.” He shrugs. Stop doing that.

“Yeah.”

This odd, awkward tension has settled around us and I just kind of stare at him as I finish my coffee.

“Well well well, look what the cat dragged onto an airplane and back to England!” Niall answers my call on the second ring and I giggle

“So you heard I’m back, huh?”  I lift my carry bag from the bottom of my cupboard, sitting it on the bed.

“Oh honey I’ve heard twice.” He chuckles, of course he has.

“That makes sense. Anyway, what are you doing right now?” I ask, my voice coming off just as mischievous as I intend it.

“I am watching football. What are you doing?” He says casually.
“I’m packing.”  I say excitedly, hoping he will catch my enthusiasm.