5. Gratitude

Tin slowly walked towards Alex's room which was the next room beside hers. She was about to knock when she overheard Alex talking on the phone in a language that she doesn't even know. She put the paper bag outside Alex's door. She was halfway back to her room when she looked back at the paper bag and picked it up again. She wanted to thank Alex for saving her that day so she thought it would be best if it came from her in person. She's not a coward after all. And out of respect, she decided to just wait for Alex to come outside of her room.

After ten minutes of sitting outside Alex's room, peeking at the stuff she bought, contemplating whether she should just leave it or not, Alex door suddenly opened. Tin got up as quick as she could. She stood up straight, holding the paper bag in front of her with two hands. Alex smiled in a silly way, in a way that the bad ass girl she knew couldn't even say a single word. Alex raised her eyebrow at Tin and looked back on her phone, "aspetti." (wait)

"How long have you been waiting there?" She asked as she motioned for Tin to come inside her room.

"Not that long," Tin answered as she followed her.

"Oh," Alex caught Tin glancing at her phone, curious. She continued, "its my cousin from Italy."

Alex turned to face her phone again and said, "Cugina, salutemala." (Cousin, say hi to her.)

Alex twisted her wrist so her cousin could see Tin. Alex's cousin was pure Italian, compared to her who was only half or double as Alex thinks to herself. Tin noted to herself, "marry a white person. Half asian kids doesn't known the meaning of suffering."

Her cousin waved at Tin and said, "Ciao!"

Tin didn't know what to say. She hesitated to say "hi" or "hello". Even though for Tin, she knew it was dumb for her to think that Alex's cousin wouldn't understand those simple words. She still ended up butchering the word "Ciao."

Alex and her cousin both laughed. Her cousin commented, "Hai ragione. La ragazza di Alex è molto affiscinante." (You are right. Alex's girl friend is very charming.)

Alex blushed and giggled, "Stronza! Ma sì, ho degli amici simatici." (A-hole! But yes, I have some nice friends)

Tin just sat there, awkwardly smiling and not knowing what's happening. Tin finally looked at her and asked, "what did she say?"

"Oh. She said that you're ugly."

Tin didn't say anything or couldn't say anything back. She was in a very awkward situation. She only wanted to give the paper bag and say a proper thank you.

"I'm kidding. She said you're very charming."

"Molto affiscinante," Tin repeated the words Alex's cousin said before, trying her hardest for it to sound Italian. She would never embarrass herself like that but with Alex, she was unconsciously willing to do it.

Tin heard clapping from the phone, "bravissima!" (Very good).

Alex replied to her cousin, "Devo andare. Ciao! A presto." (I have to go. Bye! See you soon."

She put down her phone after a hundred kisses. She leaned down to look at the paper bag and asked, "What is it?"

"I got you those. I noticed that you ate so much of it at Grier's party."