~burn~

I walked through the front door to my house, closing the door quietly. I quietly walked through the hallway leading to the living room, finding my dad asleep in the same chair I left him in, as expected. I headed into my room, and closed my still squeaky door. I took my shoes and backpack off, and sat down on my bed, looking in the mirror again. I guess they really aren't big, I thought, look at my legs. I look fine. I suddenly felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I opened it and saw a Snapchat message from a username I didn't recognize. I opened it. 

I smiled to myself when I saw Wyatt's face

I smiled to myself when I saw Wyatt's face. I added him, and sent a snap back.

 I added him, and sent a snap back

Wyatt: haha, what are you up to?

Sophia: Nothing much, just got home from school, about to start homework, you?

Wyatt: me too. 

Wyatt: Oh hey, thanks for showing me around today :)

Sophia: Yeah of course! 

Wyatt: I was thinking, we should hang out sometime? You want to?

I looked up from my screen. I was excited. Not the kind of excited like when I hang out with Finn, or Jaeden, this time it felt different. I looked back down and start typing.

Sophia: Yeah! When and where?

Wyatt: There's a cool park on Elm's St. maybe we could go there?

Sophia: Love it there. Sure!

Wyatt: Awesome, so.. Friday? After school?

Sophia: Sounds good :)

Wyatt: Cool.

Wyatt is typing...

Wyatt: I'm glad I met you, Lillis.

Sophia: I'm glad I met you as well Mr. Oleff. ;)

Wyatt: Well I should get going, see you tomorrow.

Sophia: Aw, bye :(

I put my phone down and pulled my homework out of my bag. I stood up and grabbed a pencil from my desk, then lay on my stomach on my bed, starting my homework. I suddenly heard knocking on my door. I looked up and saw my dad.

"How long have you been home?" He asked firmly. 

"Only about 30 minutes, why?" I replied.

"It's been 30 fucking minutes and the kitchen is still a mess. Why didn't you clean it?" He almost yelled.

"You never told me to clean it this morning, and I haven't been in the kitchen yet today".

"Get out there and clean it," he shouted, pointing to the door with his empty beer bottle. I ran out my door and into the kitchen.

I just watched him as he sat in the giant chair again, watching some gross TV show of his. I put a plate into the dishwasher. I saw him pull a cigarette out of his flannel pocket and light it. 

"Dad, please don't smoke in the house," I said to him, still scrubbing at a bowl. He looked over at me, and stared for a moment. He took another hit and stood up, and started walking towards me. He stood at the other side of the kitchen bar that was separating us. He leaned in close to my face, and blew his smoke into my face. I coughed from the disgusting smell. 

"I will smoke-" he began soft, but firmly. "-whenever I want". He then grabbed my arm and pressed the lit end of the cigarette into the palm of my hand. I inhaled sharply and clenched my hand up from the pain. He turned around and sat back in his chair, and lit another cigarette. I just continued to scrub at the dishes. 

I locked the bathroom door and turned on the hot bath water. I pulled my short red hair back into a headband. I removed my clothes and stepped into the warm water. I ignored the intense sting on my palm and turned off the water once the tub was full. I lay my head back into the water. My ears went under, and it was quiet. I felt safe and calm.  I looked around the silent room, and closed my eyes, trying to remember that tomorrow, I get to see Wyatt again.

Don't be a silent reader! Share your thoughts and ideas with me in the comments!