Chapter Nine

"Aye, tough mermaids are, the lot of them."
-Blackbeard

Breakfast today was waffles and bacon, why? Because Nora was in the best mood and she showed it by preparing some food for Sullivan and Ava.

Nora was so cheerful that she was humming to herself as she cooked, confusing Ava for a second until Ava realized that Nate was probably the reason. Because, what else could it be?

"Hey, kiddo!" Sullivan waved his hands in front of Ava who was not listening to one of his adventure stories in the past minute. Ava seemed to drift off into another world while Sullivan spoke, "kid!"

Ava jolted slightly at Sullivan snapping his fingers in her face, "jesus, Sully, what?"

"You what yourself! Where are you? Physically you're with us but mentally...I don't even know what the hell you're doing up there." Sullivan tapped his temple with his index finger, making Ava sigh.

"I'm just...sleepy, is all." Nora snorted loudly at Ava's lousy excuse when she finally managed to sit on the kitchen table and devour her own food.

Sullivan followed suit as his eyes still lingered on Ava in concern.

"What a load of bull!" Nora chuckled again, slightly offending Ava who raised a challenging brow at her friend. "I know exaactly what this is all about!"

"Oh please, enlighten me with your wisdom why don't you?" Ava said in an encouraging tone that Sullivan and Nora knew was only in irritation and sarcasm.

"It's because of Sam. I know it is. There's no point in denying it." Ava almost choked on her milk while Sullivan's eyes widened, not expecting the answer.

"Her and Sam? I don't think so, Nora." Sullivan said in disbelief, "c'mon, kiddo. Just spit out- tell us what's really bothering you. Is it because of Rafe?"

"It is not because of Rafe, and it is not because of Sam, okay?" Ava had to lie thru her teeth. It was true that Rafe was not the reason that bothered her so much, but she didn't even know that the reason to her melancholy day was Sam.

"Come on! I know you. You're like an open book to me now, I know it's because of Sam." Nora sang, her mouth full of waffles.

Ava was defeated, instead of arguing and denying, she stayed in her seat, shoving her food in her mouth.

"In my honest opinion, I think you and Sam have some chemistry going on between you two."

"Chemistry?" Sullivan and Ava questioned in unison.

"Yes. Chemistry, love."

Chemistry. Ava scoffed at the thought and Nora knew that her friend did not believe her one bit.

"Why can't you just admit and submit to your feelings? You're making it harder than it is." Nora fought back. Because Nora who was just like Nathan, could obviously see the little sparks that were growing between Sam and Ava.

"Because...just- just because, okay?"

"Jesus, I didn't think it was this bad." Sullivan whispered to Nora and Ava immediately rolled her eyes.

"You know I can hear you right? You're sitting right in front of me!"

The whole night, Ava was constantly thinking of this so called chemistry that Nora spoke of. She suddenly remembered a poem she read somewhere, speaking of Chemistry.

Chemistry doesn't have to do with the eyes and ears, lips and bodies but everything to do with the lighting of minds...

Ava scoffed to herself, suddenly feeling very ridiculous at her own thoughts. What was she thinking anyway? This was real life, it wasn't a disney movie. Everything would be easier if it was. But it wasn't.

Ava couldn't lie to herself like she lied to Nora about her feelings towards Sam. She did feel a little light in her heart that was burning just for him. But it was small, and she'll suppress it as much as she could just so it wouldn't grow.

After all, she only thought of it as a little attraction to Sam, no chemistry bullshit. This was all like a middle year crush on the coolest boy in the football team.

Ava cringed at the thought and watched the moon up above the dark sky.

That night, Ava couldn't fall asleep. Thinking of her feelings was like a taboo, a curse. How did the light in her heart even flicker and start without her noticing? Until a sudden thought came across her mind. Maybe it was the day Sam was looking after her the day she was drunk.

Ava sighed loudly in the darkness of her room, cursing herself over and over again till she grew drowsy and finally fell asleep.