Chapter Forty Two

"I am a man of fortune, and I must seek my fortune." 

-Henry Avery

Ava watched in boredom as Nathan concentrated on his paperwork with her feet crossed over on the table, Ava kept puffing her cheeks as she'd occasionally click her tongue.

That particular day, and especially year, seemed to go by so slow to Ava. Not only was it slow, it was constantly repetitive.

Wake up. Go to work. Paperworks, paperworks, paperworks and more paperworks. Go to the Flamingos bar and drink, drink, drink. Then, go back home.

That was it. That was how it was like for majority of her fifteen years and Ava despised the boredom that slowly grew inside of her, taking a whole of her inch by inch every hour of everyday. The boredom that took a hold of her only made her think of new adventures- how much she yearned for it was painful. Physically painful. She became one of those dreamers who dreamed with their eyes open, really. 

Nathan, however, failed to recognize that Ava was trying to grab his attention- Nate was simply too attentive to his papers.

Groaning to herself, Ava pushed herself off of her seat and stretched her limbs. "Alright- screw it. I'm pooped."

Nathan's eyes slowly darted to Ava with playful raised brows. "Are you even done with your papers?" Nathan stated as he pointed at her pile of papers stacked messily on her desk with his pen.

"Nope." Ava popped the p as she shrugged her arms in her leather jacket. "Wanna hit the bar? Drinks on me."

Even though it was difficult for Nate to decline Ava's persuading offer, Nate decided it was best to just stay put and finish the pile of paperwork so he wouldn't have to suffer the next day like Ava would.

"Nah, maybe next time though."

"Bummer." Ava sighed, tossing her motorcycle keys in the air several times. "Well it's your loss."

"I'm definitely am not gonna be the one suffering tomorrow- don't complain to me when you're drowning in your papers, Black!" Nate called out as Ava exited the office, waving her hand at him at the door.

But then, Nathan groaned to himself as he pushed himself off his chair- unable to fight the urge anymore.

"Goddamn it." Nathan whispered to himself as he grabbed his jacket.

"Wait for me! I'm coming- I'm coming!"

"Ha! Fuckin' knew it." Ava chimed in victory, a part of her slightly glad that tonight she wouldn't be drinking alone. "C'mon- we'll take the motorcycle, big guy." 

"I'm so gonna regret this." Nate, once again, whispered to himself at the thought of all the untouched paperwork waiting to be done tomorrow. 

Gulping on his beer while Ava chowed down her double cheese burger, Nathan's curious eyes scanned the bartender several times- for some reason, the awkward and slightly shy bartender didn't know how to really approach the two- as if there was something on his mind as he paced on his feet.