Chapter Twenty Three

"And what fate befalls mutineers?"

-Blackbeard

Gooey, stinky, brown and mostly moldy food was offered during "lunch" that hot and humid afternoon. Even with Ava poking and playing with her food, it didn't really help her identify what it really was.

Lifting the spoon to take a sniff-at least to convince herself to eat a little-was a bad idea. She immediately pulled away with a scrunched nose and a bitter face.

"Yep, I'm totally not gonna eat that." Ava said out loud, shoving away her tray.

"Here, have my apple." Nathan tossed the apple to Ava, who caught it effortlessly.

"Nate, are you sure? What're you going to eat?"

"My oatmeal looks...it looks edible." Nathan spoke doubtfully. "You need something to keep you going thru the day, so eat the apple."

"Gee, thanks dude." Ava said, her eyes immediately lit up at the kind gesture.

As Nathan's smile disappeared, he leaned forward, "where do you think Nora is?"

"Relax, shesh on hur way." Ava said with a full mouth.

Rafe smacked his tray on the table before settling down beside Ava, while Sam sat beside Nathan because Rafe stole his spot.

Ignoring the petty irritation that grew within him, Sam scoffed before he spoke, "couldn't you, I don't know? Pay maybe just a bit more cash to get us something better to eat?" Apparently Ava wasn't the only one who found the food tremendously disgusting.

"And if I did that, it'll give us away." Rafe spoke his words slowly, with an intense jab in the end to prove his point.

"Hey, I agree with Rafe on that." Ava spoke before taking another bite of her apple.

Rafe raised his brows in astonishment, turning his whole body towards Ava, "you agree with me?" Rafe scoffed, "well look at you, you've been in prison for a day and it has already changed you."

Ava rolled her eyes at Rafe's sarcasm. "This is not the Ava Black that I remember."

"Shut it, Rafe." Ava rolled her eyes, yet again, at a smirking Rafe before her eyes settled on Nathan who took a big bite of his oatmeal.

Immediately his face went grim as he slowly opened his jaw and pushed the food out with his tongue. A little plop sounded as his food hit the tray.

"I'd like my apple back, Av." Nathan said, at his words, Ava protectively held her apple close to her.

"What? No! You gave it to me- besides I'm eating it!"

"Dude, I just- I'll have a bite, alright?" Nathan defended.

Ava furrowed her brows in doubt, "a bite? I fucking doubt it."

"Okay, okay, okay...three bites."

"Dude! You're gonna finish my apple!" Ava protested.