Chapter Forty

Sitting on a red velvet chair in her black and white vertical lined suit, waiting for Rafe in the restaurant suddenly made her nervous. She played with her black silky tank top as her fingers brushed over the material helped her calm down as she enjoyed the texture rubbing against her fingertips.

Before her eyes could drift behind her, Rafe popping through the restaurant's massive doors caught her attention- he wore a black velvet suit that suited him well, while his hair was casually smoothen back, the usual style.

"Sorry I'm late." Rafe slightly grunted as he sat in front of her, immediately ordering a bottle of fine wine right after.

"I was just about to leave- you're lucky you came in time." Ava teased as she rested her elbow on the table, already giddy to take a sip of the wine Rafe ordered.

"But you didn't." Rafe slightly teased back, catching Ava off guard.

As the waiter arrived, giving them their menus- Ava was already overwhelmed by the choices of food. She wasn't mainly concerned with the expensive prices because she knew Rafe would pay anyway. So, she took it as an opportunity to order the lobster.

As a little pun popped in Ava's head, she tried her best to tug on her ever growing grin. "You know, you look nice today." Rafe's dark circles flicked to meet hers, a questioning look on his face as he wondered why Ava was being so nice. Until; "that suit really suits you."

Rafe's curious expression faltered into a blank expression as he watched Ava chuckle to herself. He should've expected it- Her lame little puns that he never truly found even a bit funny. "Ha-ha. Very cute, Black."

Ava rolled her eyes at Rafe and blew her wavy hair that fell in front of her view away from her face while she muttered, "you're no fun at all."

Before the silence could settle between them, Ava clicked her tongue before speaking "You know, I don't see the point of us having dinner- couldn't you just hear my answer over the phone?" Ava snorted as she took a gulp of her wine.

"It's valentines day." Rafe stated, as if it was that obvious.

"I-I know..." Ava scrunched her eyebrows. "And I'd rather spend it at home watching Pirates of the Caribbean with a pint of Ben and Jerry's cinnamon buns ice cream."

"T-That...was very specific." Rafe slightly tilted his head as he watched Ava under his judgeful lids.

Upon the arrival of the food, the two ate in an awkward and uncomfortable silence that only made Ava wish she was at home in her own company, in bed with her desired ice cream. Rafe's eyes would usually flick to Ava, watching her eat- her red lipstick slightly fading away and marking everything that touched her luscious lips. A couple of thoughts that lingered in his mind that he'll never speak of out loud was that even though he hated to admit it, throughout his time searching for Avery's treasure alone, sometimes Ava's face would pop in his mind and he'd simply wonder what she was doing. But Rafe knew himself better than anyone else- he only knew that he was simply bored and that his heart didn't crave her whatsoever, he only wanted a spark of the attention she used to give him a long time ago.

"I heard about...all your little adventures with Nate." Rafe spoke with a hint of bitterness and Ava immediately sensed that Rafe was simply jealous.

"Oh. Yeah." Ava began with a slight chuckle as she perked up. "It was...it was a hell offa ride, I'll tell you that."

"Must be nice." Rafe said bitterly once again. "You see- I don't think Nathan would've done it without you."

Ava raised an astonished brow at Rafe's bleak claim as she scrunched her nose in confusion. "Uh, I think you're- I really think you're wrong."