Chapter Eleven

"A good dream, is better than a shitty reality."
-Blackbeard

Boredom killed. It truly did. It ringed your soul and tossed it in the waste, that's what it felt like. At least that's what it felt like for Nora, Ava and the Drake brothers.

All of them hadn't been in an adventure for so long that it was killing them slowly, it felt like a part of them was missing. Sam and Ava, especially, believed that this life was meant for them.

The adventure life.

But instead of each of them suffering on their own, they all grouped at Ava's and Nora's apartment to suffer together.

"What time is it?" Ava asked, who was laid down on the floor.

"Its 5:30." Nora replied dully.

"Is it me? Or is the time passing real slow." Sam sang in irritation.

Nathan pondered for a moment as it went silent between the four of them. The youngest Drake jumped to his feet when a thought popped in his mind. The three turned to look at Nathan weirdly.

"I got it! I know what we can do...at least for today." Nathan said with a chuckle.

The four adults found themselves walking around the carnival, a cotton candy in Ava's hand and a caramel apple in Nora's.

The carnival was filled with families and even though the four of them looked they were out of place, they didn't feel it- they didn't care.

Ava tried her best to look away from clowns. Nora knew her little scare but the Drake brothers didn't, until Sam noticed.

The man chuckled to himself and Ava's brow raised in curiosity as she looked at the man, "what's so funny?"

"Well, uh, it's probably just a hunch but...I'm just taking a wild guess here that maybe, just maybe, clowns aren't your favorite." Sam lowered himself to level with Ava as he chuckled with a goofy smirk.

Immediately Ava's cheeks felt hot, her eyes diverted from his to her blue cotton candy, "no I'm not."

At Ava's stubbornness and harsh tone, Sam laughed, "well if you're not afraid of them, go say hi."

"No!"

"Why? 'Cause you're scared?" As Sam teased Ava, Nathan and Nora trailed in front of them in their own little world.

"Why do you care if I am or not? So what if I was afraid?"

"You know Av, they're just people in makeup." Sam shrugged as he eyed a clown who hugged a kid and gave a red balloon to the little boy.

"Yeah, more like killers and pedophiles in makeup." Ava scoffed, shoving the last piece of cotton candy in her mouth.

"What? You had a traumatic experience with clowns in your childhood?" Sam asked jokingly.

"No. It doesn't matter. Look, we should follow Nate and Nora." Ava said, immediately changing the subject.

The ferris wheel, the roller coaster and many different rides seemed to occupy their minds for the day, it made them forget about Avery's treasures for a moment.

It was all laughs and fun until Sam wanted to show off that he could win the biggest tiger plush for Ava, who watched the man throw balls at the lined bottles perfectly.

"You've got good aim, tiger." Sam chuckled as he handed over the big fluffy toy to Ava, who accepted with no hesitations.

"Ahhh, I see what you did there."

"So, what now? We've been here for hours." Ava asked.

Sam's eyes traveled around the carnival, they spent hours riding everything they could and there was nothing left for them to do, until his eyes landed on Nathan and Nora entering the photo booth.

"Well, wanna take some cute pictures?" Sam grinned at his own comment as his eyes fell on Ava.

"I don't mind. But just a warning, I don't know how to smile in pictures." Ava wrapped her jacket around herself tighter, pushing the toy tiger against her at the sudden chilly wind.

"Don't worry about that, doll. I'll make you smile."

Ava and Sam intruded Nate and Nora's photo session with a little burst in thru the white curtain. At the right moment, the camera took a picture of Nate and Nora's surprised faces and Sam and Ava's laughing ones.

"You guys are dicks!" Nate said as he shoved Sam off of his lap who was still giggling hysterically.

Ava kissed Nora's cheek forcefully as Sam held Nate in a tight neck grip, ruffling his hair. It was the last photo the booth took before Sam inserted another coin for himself Ava, who shoved Nate and Nora out afterwards.

"Alright, heeerree we go!" Sam laughed as he shoved his fingers in Ava's cheeks, lifting her mouth up and forcing her to smile. He grinned before the machine took the picture.

"See? You can smile!"

"Apparently so." Ava said sarcastically and before the camera went off, they positioned themselves again. This time Sam made a monkey face as Ava imitated a pig, she pressed her nose upwards with her manicured finger.

Busy laughing and giggling, Sam lifted Ava on his lap and before Ava could comprehend what happened, Sam lifted his arm and flexed while Ava sat on his lap, dumbfounded.

Ava completely forgot that the camera took a picture of her red cheeks, gaped mouth and wide eyes- her arms hung around his neck as she faced him, a boyish grin on his face.

As Sam's eyes landed on hers, he did the unexpected. He pecked her lips long and hard, her body immediately stiffened.

That was the last picture the camera took of them.

When Sam pulled back, in that moment, he knew that all his little worries and nervousness flew away. He was more confident and sure of his feelings. All this time, he was worrying over nothing. Sam didn't know where his sudden burst of confidence came from but he didn't care, because he was glad. He just suddenly knew that maybe his crush on Ava was going to be worth it. But he also knew that it would take time to convince Ava the same.

"I, uh, you- me- that-"

As Ava stuttered at every word, his arm hooked tighter around her waist as he laughed.

"I think we should catch up on Nora and Nathan, hm?"

"Yes. I think we should. Great idea, yes!" Ava spoke nervously as she awkwardly peeled herself off of him in the claustrophobic cubicle.

Suddenly she could hear her blood rushing thru her veins as her heart thumped in her ears. She kissed plenty of guys before but she never felt nervous. But this little peck did wonders to the playboy and playgirl.