CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE - Hybrid Twins

Time was growing short before the expected time of the war. Lord Frost, Merlin, Jaci, and Aiyanna had taken Timber, Henry, Sebastian, and Renegade to the Hidden Valley in the Rockies. They went in groups and pairs to scope out areas to place their troops so they could begin forming a direct battle plan. Timber and Henry walked with Renegade and Sebastian up and down trails and bridges, making notes and maps of the area to the south part of the valley.

"Look," said Timber, pointing to a structure in the distance. "Let's go check it out. Maybe we can convert it into a temporary hospital."

"That's a great idea," said Sebastian. "Let me borrow your camera. I'll be right back."

Timber handed over the camera from her bag and Sebastian took off running as fast as he could. Renegade sat down and rested his legs during Sebastian's absence. Timber sat beside him and took off her left cowboy boot to empty the pine needles that snuck their way inside while she was in a tree. She put her boot back on and adjusted her burgundy tank top under her blush floral cardigan. Then she tightened her ponytail as she saw Sebastian running back. He slowed down and sat beside them.

"I haven't run that fast, that long, in years," he said as she hunched over to catch his breath. "Feels good. I should do that more often at the track."

"Haven has a track?" asked Timber in disbelief. "I haven't seen a track!"

"It's there. And a football field, and a baseball diamond, and a basketball ball court," said Henry. "Everything is kind of hidden by the keep and the school. It's blocked from view by the large hedges that surround it. The basketball court is under the school. It doubles as a roller rink."

"Next thing you're going to tell me is that Haven has a skate park," said Timber.

"We do. It's next to the basketball court," said Henry. "We've also got a rock wall."

"Haven has just about everything but a Starbucks, doesn't it," said Timber.

"Yeah, pretty much. Next summer we'll bring Renegade to the pool and teach him how to swim. It looks like a tropical paradise. You'll like it. So what's the situation?" asked Henry, as he stretched out on the grass.

"It's a little small," said Sebastian to himself as he looked through his photos.

"It is, but it will work for those injuries that are severe," said Timber, looking over at the screen on the camera. "I think it'll be fine. If we move these outside," she added pointing at a desk and a few tables, "There should be enough room for about a dozen beds and the nurses and healers to move around in. We should tell Aiyanna so she can get everything set up. We don't want to have the fighting start with no medical supplies."

"We should move," said Henry, looking west. "There's a family of bears coming this way. I don't want to disturb them."

"I wondered what that smell was," said Timber. "Come on Renegade. We have to keep moving."

Renegade huffed and laid down. Timber Turned and allowed him to climb onto her back. They made their way to the eastern hills, looking for anything they could use to hide, ambush, or retreat. Timber's nose found an old cave near the foothills. They found the entrance and Timber started digging through the fallen mound of dirt that was blocking easy access. She wiggled her way in after giving Renegade to Henry and looked around.

"Anything interesting in there?" asked Henry.

Timber backed out and Turned.

"I could smell water, but I couldn't see any," said Timber.

"I might have better luck," said Sebastian.

So Timber Turned again and led Sebastian into the cave. They walked a hundred feet into the pitch black where her eyes were useless before the sound of moving water reached Timber's ears. Sebastian let go of her fur and she stopped moving.