Australia Screams '64

Above Video: 1964 Beatles highlight reel by EMI

In 1964 the Band began a tour of gigantic proportions. The World Tour's 1st show was on 4th June 1964  in Copanhagen, Demark they then travelled to the Netherlands for 3 shows. Jetted into Hong Kong, the shortest runway in the world I've heard (is that true? probably another taken over in the susequent years!) then Down Under to Australia.  

At the time Australia was an isolated, British outpost. Not everyone owned a television. Overseas travel was prohibitively expensive, and so were international phone calls. 

They were in Australia for less than a fortnight - the 12th to the 30th June

They were in Australia for less than a fortnight - the 12th to the 30th June. Paul would celebrate a birthday in Sydney and  we, Australia, would never be the same again.  

It all started on June 11 with a scheduled flight from Hong Kong's Kai Tak, refuelling in Darwin where Australia witnessed the first manifestation of Beatlemania; at 2.35 on a winter's morning 400 fans crowded the little terminal to see John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and stand-in drummer Jimmy Nicol pass through Customs and Immigration.  

 Ringo had collapsed at a photo shoot in London on June 3 and was having his tonsils removed. He re joined the group later.  Just 27 hours after picking up the phone Nicol was playing on stage before 4000 fans; the newest Beatle, even dressed in Ringo's ill-fitting suit. George Harrison was unhappy and said I'm not going either but Brian Epstein said 'think of the fans'  They went with Jimmy. Imagine how poor Richie was feeling :(

 Imagine how poor Richie was feeling :(

Southern Cross Hotel Melbourne

Epstein had verbally agreed that the band would do the Australasian tour for 1500 pounds a week organised in late '63. Soon after, Beatlemania swamped the globe and Epstein could command 20 times that, but he and Brodziak agreed that the price would be upped to only 2500 pounds. Brian was a gentleman in that regard.  Support acts were Sounds Incorporated, Johnny Chester, Johnny Devlin and The Phantoms.