Hi, I'm Stoned

Who said it first Paul or John?

We've all seen Paul sat there lazing in his outdoor chair, chatting to the member of the press about Drugs and its wonders.

Bob Dylan introduced the lads to the wonder on August 28, 1964in America. Dylan requested some cheap wine and suggested that they all enjoy a joint while waiting.

The Beatles and Brian Epstein looked at each other sheepishly and admitted, "We've never smoked marijuana before."

Dylan was incredulous. "What about your song? The one about getting high?"

The Beatles had no such song and finally asked, "Which song?"

Dylan replied, "You know...'and when I touch you, I get high, I get high.'"

John Lennon blushed when he realized the song in question. "Those aren't the words. The words are, 'I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hide..." from the sweetly innocent tune, "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

Dylan was giddy to introduce them to cannabis. They secured the hotel room with towels under the door and drapes drawn tight before Dylan rolled the first joint. He gave it to Ringo Starr to light, but Ringo, not quite understanding the "puff, puff, pass" etiquette, smoked the whole joint by himself, while Dylan just laughed and rolled a few more.

****************************

But who stated to the media - yes we indulge. Well for years its been 'Paul' first here's his lovely laid back interview, recorded on June 19, 1967 in the backyard garden on Cavendish Ave, a day after Paul's 25th birthday :

 Fun Fact Paul says  'Y'know' 19 times.

"Got to Get You Into My Life" from the album Revolver an "ode to pot" - Paul McCartney 'Many Years From Now'

(Full Transcript for Paul's interview bottom of this page!)

***************************

Yet wait!!

What did John tell a reporter in the Bahamas in February, 1965 AND THE REPORTER SQUISHED IT, HID IT AWAY FOR NO ONE TO SEE! (can you imagine that happening today!)

February 1965: The Beatles had just arrived on location at New Providence Island in the Bahamas to film Help!. On being asked what The Beatles had been up to on their flight over, Lennon replied "We got stoned." There is a stunned silence before the interviewer says: "Alright. I know you're only kidding."

Of course, Lennon wasn't  kidding, as The Beatles had been popping pills since at least 1960 and smoking weed since being "turned-on" by Bob Dylan in 1964. Simon Wells exclusively explains for Dangerous Minds.net:

The Beatles took a chartered jet to the Bahamas for the start of filming of Help! on Monday 22nd February 1965. Perversely as it may seem, the Beatles' manager Brian Epstein had become intoxicated with the idea of tax shelters and havens—and after his dismal performance of selling off the Beatles rights to A Hard Day's Night for little more than the average house price in Britain, he sensed an idea to set up an offshore interest in the Bahamas, hoping that the money from the film would escape the extortionate financial red tape and punitive taxes that would attract to the film's future successes.