Billy Joel Plays hide the Salami

Joel hid his meat from Sir Paul

Billy Joel opened up to Radio host Howard Stern in 2010 about a particularly embarrassing day he spent with the former Beatle. Stern had asked Joel if he had any interesting moments to share about having gotten together with another musician and having something great happen.

Joel didn't miss a beat.

"So Paul McCartney is going to come to my house in the Hamptons to hear these piano pieces

"So Paul McCartney is going to come to my house in the Hamptons to hear these piano pieces." Joel began. "His attorney is my attorney so he kind of got it together for him to come to my house. 'Paul McCartney's coming to my house – wow!' Just me and him hanging out."

"So, I want to know I have drinks in case he wants a nice, cold drink. I'll have something in the fridge, I open the fridge and I look in the fridge and there are some cold cuts."

Stern interjected, "And that's not good enough?"

"Well, it's not that," Joel explained. "I mean, he's not a meat guy, he's anti-meat. I'm looking at my fridge and I'm seeing turkey breast and you know cold beef or something. It's starting to look like Jeffery Dahmer's ( an American serial killer)  refrigerator. I'm thinking if Paul opens the fridge he is going to freak out, run out of my house and never talk to me again."

Joel's ultimately stinky day with McCartney

"So I decide I'm gonna take all the meat out of the refrigerator and put it somewhere else. Literally I was gonna hide the salami. So I go through the fridge and I'm pulling out this and that and I'm hiding it in drawers."

"I didn't want to bother him with my meat. I had to put it somewhere because he was coming. I'm looking at my watch, he's gonna be here any minute. Where do I put the meat? Okay, I put it in the pantry and I put it in the drawer."

"We had a nice day hanging out. He's a regular guy, good family man."

"We just played each other music that we were working on. And that was it, then he left. He never asked for anything to drink, he never looked in my fridge."

"He leaves and I'm just calling everybody to tell them, 'hey, Paul McCartney was here.'"

"And a few days go by and I smell dead chicken sitting in a drawer for five days. It was all so well hidden, I couldn't find it."