RM

(I know this is long stick with me guys)

I get out of the cop van and head toward the house, determined to make something right and prove Seek wrong. I'm not running from anything, I'm just, I'm looking for a different angle.

"Seek!"

I shout as I walk inside, multiple people looking my way. I pause in the doorway, the scent of blood overpowering. Seek appears from a back room and waves me over, my combat boots crunching on a ridiculous amount of broken glass.

"Grey, the lab reports will tell us what kind of blood this is but it'll take three hours."

She whispers as I walk past her, red marks smeared over the walls.

"It's only goats blood Seek, not human."

She breaths out a sigh, scribbling something down on paper while I wander through the house. A scent trail of fear leads me to the back door, trailing out into the yard.

"He was taken out of this entrance-"

"Who was?"

Seek tests, knowing I barely read the case notes.

"The boy, he's young, maybe eight? Whoever kidnapped him was a man...he drove a truck I smell diesel...I smell a chemical?"

I run back inside, turning on the faucet and dragging Seek over.

"You can smell that right? Right?"

I say as I shove a handful of the water under her nose.

"Grey don't be so loud and no I can't smell anything on the bloody water."

"It's the same chemical that was on the man, it's whatever they use to clean the water in the city. He came from a water plant, I can bet that's where he took the boy."

She doesn't even second guess me, taking out her cell and telling everyone to get searching for the water cleaning plant and to meet us there. We're back out in the car and speeding down the highway back to the heart of the city, location on its way. She pops open the glove compartment to reveal two small guns, fully loaded.

"Take one and don't shoot it unless you have to, if you do make sure you wipe your finger prints off because legally you, Wolfé, are supposed to be dead."

We reach the water plant in fifteen minutes, the looming network of buildings reeking of fluoride and a hint of sulfur. Seek and I split up, and I silently hope I haven't forgotten how to watch my own back as she disappears to the second building. The sound of machines running is deafening, leaving me with only sight and smell to rely on as I dash through the hallways towards the heart of the system. Green and red lights flash on every panel I pass, gun stuck under my belt as I try to smell something above the chemicals. Soon I'm lost, no idea how I got where I am. My cell won't pick up any bars, the metal tanks and cement structure blocking out any chance of me calling for help. I take the gun out of my jeans and make sure the safety's off, hairs on the back of my neck rising whenever a machine starts or stops pumping water.

...

...

...

"Hey!"

I whirl around and squeeze the trigger, bang goes the gun and the bullet hits him square in the chest, eyes widening as he drops to his knees. I drop my gun and back away, what did I, what did I just do, what...his eyes are rolling back into his head what-