t w e n t y - s e c o n d ♂

Melody.

I attempted ways to sneak out without Raphael's notice, but his flute skills instantaneously pulled my heartstrings. Not only it was like a melody to my ears, it forced me to remain on the spot. I hate to admit, but I was attracted to the song. My pounding heart started slowing down, and my muscles relaxed. The noises of rustling grasses, whispering wind and the anger of the ocean seemed to be in sync with the song.

Of course I would love to listen more, but regardless, my mind was divided on what should I do next. A part of me wanted to listen to his performance, but the others wanted me to leave as soon as possible. If I stayed, Raphael will notice me, and I knew that things won't be going as well. If I left, however, I wouldn't be able to hear the calming melody again.

I looked around for Myla, and she was there in the distance, playing with some random plants. Despite the loud crunches she made, Raphael didn't seem to notice the dog and continued on with his music. He really poured his emotions through the flute, as time passed by, the harmony the instrument let out grew depressing.

This is my chance. As soon as I rushed towards Myla to pick her up, however, Raphael abruptly stopped playing. A deep, frustrated sigh was emitted out of his lips.

"Seems that I can't get the pitch right." He mumbled to himself, and brushed his hair. "Maybe I should practice more often."

He slowly whirled his body around, probably trying to get down, but before I managed to get out, his eyes quickly met mine. I snuggled the pomeranian dog closer to my chest, instantly turning my head away from him. I still felt his boring gaze as he went down from the railing.

Shit... I'm fucking doomed...

"Oh hey, Chris..." He greeted, but he didn't sound so happy and energetic, unlike usual. As I glimpsed, Raphael placed a weak, forced smile on his face, as though he had dashing hopes. Myla, on the other side, seemed to be sniffing his scent, as her nostrils were up in the air. My hands were clenched tight on dog, but I was mindful not to squeeze the life out of her.

"Hey." I decided to greet him instead of being ignorant, although I preserved my low tone and my awareness. I slightly stepped back, attempting to keep a distance away from him.

"... Sorry about last week. I should have known your feelings before I talked to you." He murmured, placing the flute inside his bag. The ocean breeze quietly hit against my face, tousling my bangs and almost lifting them up. In intuition, I quickly brought my forelocks down, even before Raphael could see what was hidden behind them.

"I know." I retorted, snorting. I didn't understand people who have to repeatedly say sorry, even though they had done it on the first place. I get it, you are sorry. I don't need to hear it again.

A deafening quietness then surrounded us, with the exception of nature noises. Myla glanced up, her eyes were looking at me, expressing intense curiosity. Her tongue was rolled out as she breathed a bit too fast, probably as a result of her rough play. She mildly swung her tail back and forth, its movements tapping against my hoodie.

There, I noticed Raphael was observing Myla with scrutiny. He appeared to be taking details of the animal.

"Your dog's all fluffy and adorable..." He complimented. "What breed is it?"

"Pomeranian." I answered. Raphael's eyes grazed upon her long furs, and judging from it, I knew what he was about to do. I withdrew the animal away from his sight. "Don't touch her."

"Wasn't going to. I was just checking her out. It's just shocking how her furs can grow that long." He claimed, hiding his true intentions behind his flagrant lies. At it, I mentally rolled my eye. "What's her name, anyway?"