t h i r t y - n i n t h ♂

Least.

Shopping for clothes was probably the least of my worries. I was supposed to be doing something else important, such as dealing with problems related to both the past and the present. Hanging out with Rena wasn't exactly the spot I should be in, but here I was, casually buying hoodies.

While the employer was arranging them inside a goodie bag, I glanced over my shoulder to see Rena, who was holding her newly bought flower hair clip. She slipped it into her bag, and when she turned her head at me, she simply smiled; the smile that always throbbed my heart.

I felt myself widening my eye. I restrained myself from finishing the sentence and quickly reverted back. The cashier put no notice even when he had finished packing, and simply bestowed the plastic bag at me. I quietly took it and muttered out a half-hearted thank you, before heading to Rena. We then strolled out of the store, wearing some sort of a satisfied look.

She must have been confused why am I acting all weird, but she didn't say anything about it, fortunately.

On the second thought, though, I came to realize that in the end, the time spend with her was worthed it. Not only did I get two new clothes that Rena had fastidiously picked and fitted to my liking, but it gained me the strength to push some unwanted memories into the back of my head.

I really needed some break after all the problems I had been struggling.

You might be unaware of what happened, Rena... I lowered my head, gripping my hands tightly. ...but if it weren't for you, I would have gone insane by now.

"We've been looking for hoodies for almost an hour, so I'm k-kinda starving now..." Rena began, which snapped me out of my reverie. As always, her bright expression fluttered my stomach to the max. "Where do you wanna eat?"

"Anywhere would be fine." I responded, scratching my cheek. I was trying to think of any food that came first upon my mind, when finally, some popped up. I impulsively uttered it to Rena, without even thinking about it. "...but how about some hamburgers and french fries? Does it sound good to you?"

Wow, Ed, well done.

Just keep talking without thinking. You're truly a professional at it.

"Oh, definitely!" Rena clapped her hands together. "I've been c-craving for some fries for no reason. My dad cooked an excess of them yesterday, and I decided to finish all of them. I can't help it, they were crispy and hot."

No words came out of my mouth, and I merely blinked while staring at her. The brief moment of silence, though, tensed her up. Her fingers started fidgeting, as she broke her stare away. Waves of rosy pink color started to take over her cheeks.

"I was really h-hungry at that time as w-well so, it's not really what y-you think..." Rena stammered between her words. She forced herself to speak louder, slightly coming out as a squeak. Hearing how she softly spoke, tingled my veins and slightly moistened my fingers. "I-I haven't eaten much during l-lunch, that's why!"

She's just so cute... I thought, but when I realized that it was something about her, I mentally kicked the heck out of myself. I have to get my shit together, or else I would look like a creep.

"...You don't have to be so mortified." I attempted convincing her. "It's normal for people to eat a lot when they're hungry. I have done it too, so you're not alone."

"W-well t-that's..." Rena stuttered, and abruptly paused. She was blinking as fast as she could, while she refused to look at my direction. The color of her face started changing from pink to beet red, and when she seemed to notice this, she pulled her hat down and turned away from me. She continued walking in front of me, burning down in shame. She didn't have to be so embarrassed about it...