Chapter 1

Nira's POV (here we go!!!)

_____

"Are you ready, Nira?" Kylo's deep, attractive voice sounded from behind me.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I replied uncertainly in my robotic armor-covered voice, looking around at my surroundings.

There was a mountain of tan rock in the horizon, the sun beat harshly down on our sweating backs, and bodies littered the extremely compacted sand ground all around us. The sky was a musty mixture of tossed up dust and blue atmosphere. Our ship awaited a few hundred feet away, empty but soon to be full of the stormtroopers retreating to it. They had done their job by fighting the mass of enemy soldiers that wielded guns.

I was standing back-to-back with my husband, Kylo Ren. He wore his usual dauntingly dark ensemble and I donned my black and yellow stormtrooper-esque armor. We were surrounded by the dozen remaining fighters of an enemy organization I hadn't even caught the name of. The opposing soldiers wielded riot gear that was orange and buzzing with intimidating white energy accompanied by a thick black hilt. These soldiers were mine and Kylo's job.

"Then let's fight."

At Kylo's words, I heard the mechanical brr that signaled the ignition of his vicious lightsaber. I felt the familiar tingling in my gut that shot outwards to my palms until my hands were covered in the shimmering, lethal, purple electricity.

The enemy soldiers charged.

I consecutively thrust my arms forward, letting two powerful volts of electricity fly into the chests of the closest enemy soldiers. The soldiers blasted backwards but I paid them no attention.

I turned and faced a particularly large soldier who snarled and swirled his thick weapon by the hilt; it buzzed menacingly as it flew threw the air. Then he took two large steps towards me while bringing the riot gear over his head. He grew a malicious grimace on his features and swung downwards at me.

All in a matter of a few moments I had summoned electricity throughout my forearm. I slashed my arm perpendicularly to his weapon, leaving a streak of lingering electricity in the air that clashed with his oncoming weapon. The riot gear powerfully deflected back.

The soldier immediately whirled his weapon back towards me, this time at a lower angle. I quickly brought my arm downwards, creating another temporary jet of electricity through the air that sent the riot gear rebounding backwards once more.

The soldier and I were now in close vicinity with each other. He brought the weapon over his head -- I crossed my arms over my torso, electricity flowing through me -- he began bringing the weapon down towards me -- I leaned back and uncrossed my arms, creating a plated shield of electricity in front of me -- his weapon hit the shield and bounced off -- I forcefully kicked him in the gut -- he fell back -- I sent a quick volt to his chest and he flew backwards.

I pivoted and saw two new soldiers charging at me. I sent a sharp volt into the chest of one -- he flew into the air behind him, dead -- and then went for the killer electrical shot with the other. However, this soldier expertly deflected my voltage with his riot gear, sending the electricity right back to me.

In a matter of one second, the electricity reconnected with my palm and I sort of caught it. Without pause, I sent the electricity flying back to the soldier, this time aiming for his abdominal area -- I did not miss.

The soldier flew backwards.

I then turned. I had defeated five and there were a dozen, so where was my sixth? I had barely paid attention to the whirling murderous tornado that was my husband, and I turned to him. I then saw that the last soldier I was supposed to be dealing with was creeping up behind Kylo. This soldier was attempting to sneak up behind Kylo and kill him.