Chapter 15

Kylo's POV

"The mission was a failure." I repeated the anger-inducing news back to General Hux who stood firmly before me, wearing an emotionless look that lacked the fear I felt radiating off of him in great waves.

I sat before him in the commanding seat of the ship we had flown to Tatooine. I glared up at him without emotion as well.

"Leave." I abruptly ordered the other commanders, generals, and pilots in the room, "Now."

The employees rushed out of the room and I allowed myself to slump forwards, the feeling of defeat horribly washing over me.

"It's my fault." I admitted weakly, shaking my head and covering my face with my hands. I looked up. General Hux's hands unclasped from behind his back.

"It's not your fault, supreme leader, the stormtroopers were unable to complete the task at hand." He affirmed and I scoffed.

"If I would've just gone down there with them they would not have failed. She would have come with me and we would have her back now. I would be with her." Pain echoed in my words and I looked up at Hux, who considered my statement.

"Perhaps things would have gone more our way had you been present at the mission. However, you weren't, and we can't change that fact. Now we must move forward." Hux began. I gazed out of the windows of the ship as stars streamed by. We were headed back to our base. I was empty on the inside. The fight had been sucked from me.

Will I ever see Nira again?

General Hux pulled me from my thoughts. "Kespia has just boarded our ship, returning from quite the dangerous mission of acquiring weapons for our upcoming battle against the Legion of Chrome. You were already aware of this but you must be presentable. You are still the leader of the First Order, Kylo Ren."

Hux was right. There were other things going on around me that didn't involve Nira. Kespia had risked her own life to get some of the most top-graded weapon systems for the First order. She had just returned.

I would pretend to take interest in this news -- Hux was right, I was the supreme leader still -- but I had full intent to keep Nira in the back of my mind at all times until I got her back.

At that moment, Kespia walked through the doors of the room only Hux and I occupied. I looked up at her without really seeing her, distracted by the thought of Nira somewhere in the galaxy, running away from me.

There was a pause in the air as Kespia hesitated to act, her eyes flickering between Hux and me. Hux's prestigious poster had faltered upon Kespia's entry and his eyes could only find her.

I waved my hand carelessly. "I don't care." I granted them, looking away.

I heard Kespia's footsteps across the floor and a short outburst of feminine exhilarated laughter. I spared the two of them a glance and saw Hux had picked Kespia up. Both of them were wrapped in each other's arms. Kespia' head was buried into Hux's neck. He placed her back down on the ground and heatedly kissed her.

I had to look away -- the passionate pair reminded me far too much of another couple deeply in love that I could barely think about at the moment. I refused to resurface memories about Nira that would only cause the sensation of my chest being ripped apart to strengthen.

Nira was out there somewhere, avoiding me. Afraid of me. The thought caused literal pain to strike through my head. I shut my eyes tightly, barely able to handle the situation at hand.

The chances of getting Nira back were hopelessly low. We had fought -- no, I had attacked her. Would she ever be able to trust me again as an acquaintance, much less a lover? Would I ever get to hold her again? To stroke her hair, kiss her lips?