Chapter 32

We ventured into the base, ready to cause some major upset within the Legion of Chrome.

_____

I couldn't help but nearly grin as Kylo lead me through the Legion of Chrome base. I was supposed to be ultra-focused on the mission, but for a few moments I had to allow myself the happiness of being reunited with him.

I looked at the back of his head and his broad back and I felt nothing but passionate affection for him. I just wanted to grab him, turn him around, and kiss him. Obviously I couldn't do that, but for a few moments I allowed myself to picture it. I grinned to myself like a dork and continued to follow him at the base.

I readied myself for any fight. My fingertips tingled with brimming electricity willing to shoot at my slightest inkling. Kylo prowled onwards, lightsaber ready at his side. We quickly made our way throughout hallways.

"We need to find the center of the base." Kylo muttered over his shoulder.

"Why?" I questioned. I had thought the plan was to get off the base as quick as possible.

"We need to communicate with the First Order. Give orders. Serve as the leaders. And then we need to distract the Legion of Chrome so we can escape without much trouble." Kylo explained. I nodded, wishing it didn't have to be that complicated but willing enough to do so.

"Do you have any clue where the base's center is?" I asked.

"The long answer is I believe I know the general layout of any base. I will be able to make several educated guesses on its whereabouts. The short answer is no." Kylo answered. I pressed my lips together and nodded unsurely.

"Alright." I responded.

We made our way down several hallways, halting and peering around each corner before advancing. There was a suspicious lack of soldiers.

After maybe twenty or thirty minutes of ambling purposefully through the base, we encountered our first soldiers. There was only a pair of them patrolling the hallways.

I sent a jet of shock into the chest of the first soldier. The second one shot at Kylo Ren, who easily deflected the blast directly back into the chest of the attacker. Both soldiers were on the ground in a matter of three seconds, chest plates smoldering.

"That was simple." Kylo commented as we stepped carefully over their bodies.

Along our way we encountered several pairs of soldiers who met similar fates as the first two. Easy volts and blast deflections lead to countless Chrome soldier deaths in the hour Kylo and I had been slinking throughout the base.

I was starting to get angsty that we hadn't found the base's center. The leaders of the Legion of Chrome or other soldiers were bound to happen upon the bodies Kylo and I had left or get suspicious at the radio silence back. Someone had to check up on our cells and find them vacant. I knew we only had a matter of time before we would be discovered.

Luckily for us, within five minutes we rounded a corner that showed four soldiers standing solid and guarding a thick silver door that protruded from the wall.

"That looks like something." I whispered, and Kylo nodded.

Just then, one of the soldier's radio omitted a fuzzy voice. "Prisoner A and B are both missing. Stay on alert."

"On it." The soldier muttered back through a muted voice underneath the helmet. I glanced to Kylo. He looked back at me and mouthed the word 'ready?'.

I nodded.

We rounded the corner furiously. I swung my arms up and a force field extended in front of Kylo and I nanoseconds before the soldiers' bullets would have fired into us. The first two soldiers were blasted by their own bullets deflected by my shield, leaving the other two.