[3] Enigma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thin rays of sunlight picked through the curtains of Jungkook's bedroom, announcing the morning glory. The clock was showing 4 AM, but Jungkook was wide awake. His eyes were staring blankly at the ceiling of his room. His sight had already adjusted to the darkness and he was looking around his room without any problem.

Being awake in 4 AM was nothing new to him. It's been almost three years since he had a proper sleep. On the better days, he would sleep for about five hours, but there were some when he wouldn't even close an eye.

It was all because of that nightmare. The same nightmare he had almost every night for the last three years. The flashing lights, the heavy rain, the screams, the cries, he was well familiar with all of them.

It was like a scene from a horror movie that kept on repeating and repeating in his mind. It was only a matter of time for him to lose his mind. It was even surprising to him that he managed to last this long.

He kept telling himself to stay sane. He didn't want to give up just yet. He wanted to go on because there were still people that he needed to take care of. There was still someone that needed him the most.

And he wanted to keep living for that someone. For him, that someone was the only bright light at the end of the tunnel; the only source of life.

He didn't care about what people were saying. He kept living, he kept fighting for her.

********

"Today, after classes in the library."

Minhee almost jumped out of her seat when she heard Jungkook's words coming from her right side. He had said them almost as a whisper before disappearing through the double doors of the canteen. He didn't even give her time to answer back and fled out almost as if the room was on fire.

"There are rumors that he... ", Soojung had just started to complain again but Minhee stopped her immediately.

"I don't really care about what the others are saying. He hasn't done anything to me."

"Fine, fine. I don't know what else to say. Either you are very brave or you are very stupid, I can't tell", she said it with a disapproving tone and averted her gaze away. Now her eyes were preoccupied with her plate filled with that grass-thing, that she likes to call lunch.

Minhee met Soojung on the second day when she came into the school. It was lunch break when the brunette approached the lunch table where Minhee was sitting alone.

She wasn't alone because no one had approached her before, on the contrary, many had tried to befriend her, but the moment they opened their mouths, Minhee was already disappointed with the way they were addressing her.

"Hey, you are the girl that broke Jeon Jungkook's nose, right? I'm Soojung", the girl spoke and hearing that, Minhee just nodded slightly. She was tired of everyone greeting her as 'Jungkook's nose breaker'.

Seeing her bitter look, Soojung grinned widely. "I'm just kidding; I know your name is Minhee. We have History and English together."

Hearing that Minhee smiled a little, relieved that at least someone knows her name instead of addressing her as 'the nose breaker'.

"Can I sit with you?", Soojung asked pointing on the chair opposite of Minhee.

"Sure."

And that's how they became friends. After that day, they would walk together to class, eat lunch in the cafeteria, hang out after school.

Minhee grew fond of Soojung, finding her funny and mood charger at any moment of the day. They had the same likings and thoughts about a lot of things, like for example they were both crushing on their English Professor, Mr. Kim.

Not only them, but the majority of the female students in their school felt the same way about the professor. The young professor was in his mid-twenties and with his blond locks and his great figure was crashing a lot of hearts around the halls. And above all, he was so kind and lovable, that he even had some male fans.

So to sum it up, the only thing that they didn't agree on was Minhee's tutoring student.

It was still a miracle how Minhee succeeded in pursuing him to become her student. It wasn't an easy task and Minhee really worked hard to achieve it.

********

"Why do you do that? It's obvious that you can have good grades", Minhee asked him when seeing his answers on the Math's test she had prepared for him. He had answered correctly on almost ninety percents of all the questions.

"What's the point? I don't need them", Jungkook murmured it under his breath.

"But, what about college?"

"What about it? Do I look like I plan on attending" he said it as more of a statement than a question and averted his eyes on the paper.

She was going to ask more, but bit her tongue to prevent herself from it. Even though she wanted to know more about the boy sitting across from her, she didn't want to barge in. She was lucky to get this much from him, knowing that he doesn't like to talk much. Hell, she was lucky that he even agreed with the tutoring session.

They were sitting in the far corner of the library, hiding from the other students' sights. There were some of the students that saw them, looking surprised and questionable at Minhee, but she avoided them all.

She didn't care what the others were thinking. She wanted to get to know him herself. She wanted to know why his chocolate eyes were always decorated with huge eye-bags; why he was always walking around with his face hidden behind the shade of his hoodie; why he was always sitting in the library away from everyone; why when everyone was rumoring or staring at him, he was just avoiding them without a word.

She had so many questions.

The boy sitting across her was an enigma for her and as much as she tried to read him, she still couldn't figure him out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My apologies for the delay in updating.

THIA