[6] The reason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jungkook?"

"Mom?" Jungkook jumped confused and immediately stepped away from Minhee. A light pink blush appeared on his ears from the fact that his mother almost saw him kissing someone.

But his main intention wasn't to try to kiss her; he just wanted to scare her away. How did the situation come to that, was a mystery to both of them...

"Who is this young lady? Is she your girlfriend?", Mrs. Jeon asked amusingly when she saw her son blushing for the first time in a very long time. There was not every day that was happening and she planned on teasing him about it later.

"Oh, I'm so rude, I am so sorry. My name is Minhee and I'm Jungkook's classmate. I came to check on him because he hasn't shown up at school for a whole week. I was ... worried." Minhee said it while bowing politely at Jungkook's mother. At this point, she was already red as a tomato.

"How kind of you dear, why don't you have lunch with us. I'll be making the Jeon's family special meal today; you don't want to miss that."

"Hmm... but I don't want to intrude Mrs. Jeon."

"Nonsense dear, and please call me Eomeoni." Before Jungkook was able to protest about that, his mother was already dragging Minhee inside the house, leaving him standing dumbfounded in the house yard.

"How the hell does she always end up around me?", he murmured under his breath, while walking inside the house. He wanted to be annoyed by Minhee, by the way she was always somewhere around him, but deep inside the thing didn't bother him at all. He didn't want to admit it, but the fact was that he actually enjoyed her company.

*******

"This is him? Wow, he was such a cute baby. Just look at his little teeth."

After the amazing lunch that Mrs. Jeon had prepared, Minhee and her ended up in the living room looking at Jungkook's old pictures.

When his mother mentioned the pictures, Jungkook somehow magically disappeared from the room. He had enough of his mother's teasing about how cute he used to be, he didn't want to experience that from Minhee as well.

"And these three here are Jungkook, Jimin and Hoseok. They are Jungkook's friends, but they are inseparable like brothers. I'm surprised that you haven't met them yet. They are always around, they stay for dinner a lot too", she grinned like a proud mother of three boys and not just one.

Minhee was confused with this new found information about Jungkook. He was the loner, the quiet guy in their school. He wasn't friends with anyone, so she was surprised to hear that he had them. And somehow this new information made her content.

"I'm Jungkook's tutor actually. He doesn't want us to be friends. He is somehow a closed type, I'm lucky to even speak with him." Minhee admitted it shamelessly. But indeed she was lucky to be in the same place with him; speaking with him was like a jackpot.

"I'm so glad that he met someone like you. Please don't let him be alone the whole time. You know, he wasn't always like that... He used to be such a cheerful kid. He was trouble when he was little, but that toothy smile was never leaving his face."

Mrs. Jeon smiled when her thoughts went back to the memories of Jungkook's childhood. Little boy with mud all over his body and clothes ran in her mind. He told her that he was making pancakes from mud and asked her if she wants to eat them with him. Her eyes were filled with tears from this joyful memory from more than ten years ago.

"He was so happy, always laughing, always playing around, until that day. That day when that horrible accident happened and he changed forever. That day when he lost ..."Mrs. Jeon didn't get to finish her sentence when a shout came from the other room.

It was Jungkook, screaming his little sister's name. In a millisecond, Mrs. Jeon was on her feet and ran outside the living room. Minhee didn't know what was happening but she went after her too.

The scream came from Jinhee's bedroom. When Minhee came inside, she saw Jungkook sitting on the ground and holding Jinhee in his embrace while caressing her hair. The little girl was holding her hand on her chest as if she was having pain. She seemed to have trouble breathing too. Mrs. Jeon was sitting beside them holding an inhalator for Jinhee and she was tearing silently.

The whole situation was heartbreaking and Minhee found her eyes watering as well, even though she was still confused with the situation. But just watching the little girl fight for breath was painful and agonizing.

*******

"She finally fell asleep." Jungkook joined Minhee as she was sitting on the front porch of the house. After they stabilized Jinhee's situation, she wanted to give the family a little time alone so she got out of the house. But at the same time she was worried about them, so she waited outside to see if she could be of any help to them.

"I'm sorry that you needed to see that.", Jungkook whispered when he sat beside her on the stairs. He had his head hanging low and looked sleepy and exhausted.

When she saw him being like this, Minhee hesitantly caressed his hair with her hand lightly. At first, he flinched under her touch but relaxed immediately encouraging her to continue.

"Jinhee has heart disease and it troubles her breathing. She needs surgery, but that costs a lot of money. And we don't have them."

This was the first time that Jungkook had told anyone about their situation, aside from Jimin and Hoseok. But he felt at ease when he told Minhee because she was different from the others he met, she didn't judge him, she didn't believe the rumors.

"I'm so sorry. If there is something I can help you with?"

His words crushed something inside her. The mare thought that something terrible was happening to someone so young, to someone whose life was yet to begin, it was horrible.

"No, that's my job to do. I'll gain the money for her surgery."

He lifted his head, taking her hand off his head. He looked her in her eyes as if he was trying to bore his words inside her.

"How?", Minhee asked him, feeling the tension in the air around them. She felt that he was going to tell her something that not many people knew about him. She felt it from the way his hand was clenched around her wrist. Whatever that was, it was killing him softly.

"I fight, Minhee. I fight for money."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promised an update and here it is. Sorry for waiting this long. Anyway, the first secret is out. You know when I mentioned that there was a 'she' in his life, the one he wants to keep living for. Well, that 'she' is actually his little sister.

Happy reading!

THIA