Chapter Five: Rejection hurts

Lisa's POV

Mr. Corristor stood up, but before that a beautiful woman on his right kissed him. He fist bumped a man sitting next to him on his left, his back was facing me and I couldn't tell who it was.

The fist bump followed to a handsome younger guy, who was probably around eighteen. He was smiling at the dashing old man who definitely didn't appear old, except for the shiny gray hair giving some of his youth away.

"As most of you may know, I have already retired, and I have now my eldest son as the new owner of the Corristor chain of hotels. So, without wasting any time, I would like to invite him on stage so he can say a few words and we may have dinner afterwards." He stated before he finished a relatively short speech.

The room was filled with applause when Mr Corristor went to his seat and his eldest son took his place on the stage.

The room turned dark for a few seconds and then the lights focused on him. I froze as I felt my knees go weak for a second.

Thank God I was sitting already.

My heart began to race at the mere sight of him. I could feel the butterflies erupting in my stomach again and my breath increased as I stared at him.

Aiden. That's him. He is the owner.

"Good evening everyone. I would like to thank everyone who participated and collaborated...." He began with a rough voice which had a smooth edge of masculinity to it. Distracted, I couldn't focus on the rest of the speech.

He wore a black Armani suit, his hair slightly gelled. He was surely one of the most handsome men I had ever laid my eyes on. And, this was coming was someone who worked in the highest rung of the fashion industry.

The way he composed himself emanated pure professionalism, confidence and power. His leadership quality was clearly perceptible, his demeanor spoke for itself and the aura in the room took a sudden shift.

He emitted a fruitful vision with regards to Azure Royal, and the way he carried himself was enough for him to prove his point. There was no further argument.

Aiden was still delivering his speech, looking at the audience every now and then, when suddenly he met my eye.

Oh Darn. I'm sure he would remember me.

I was right, he paused in his sentence making it seem like the pause was supposedly incorporated in the speech as his gaze settled on me as I held my breath.

A few seconds passed by and he was still staring. Helen, sitting next to me, turned to look at me and moved her gaze to Aiden.

I broke the eye contact before he continued his sentence. I saw Helen wriggle her eyebrows discreetly at me, as she asked,

"What's going on?" She asked with a devilish smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied although a smile was already forming on my lips.

However, the small playful moment was short lasted as I turned towards the right.

Lauren, who was seated on the same table as mine, glared at me under her fake thick lashes. An expression of disgust was thrown at me.

Lord, not again!

Ignoring her, I averted my gaze away from hers as I glanced at Aiden who had finished his speech and was walking back to his respective table. The host was back on stage, wishing us an enjoyable meal and a great evening.

I glanced back at Aiden's table, his head was leaned in the direction of a female blonde who looked really chic, and she was whispering something in his ear in a flirtatious way. In return, Aiden smirked at her and put his arms on her back.