03. The Dolls

After work, I tossed my keys and glasses onto the kitchen counter. I got sent home earlier than normal because I kept messing up sales and was clearly out of it.

"Go get some rest for tomorrow," Sarah had said before pushing me out of the store.

Kitty crawled into my lap and snuggled into a ball once I sat down on the couch. My fingers found themselves threading through her thick, white fur. I then scratched behind her light brown ears as she turned her face into my hand.

Then my full attention was on the cardboard box from where I left it, which had signs of Kitty scratching at it. I sighed and set my cat on the floor to go fetch some scissors, Kitty trailing behind. I put my glasses back on in the meantime as well.

Once I found them in one of the junk drawers, I returned to the living room and sat in front of the box.

"Okay, I got this." I thought out loud.

I tore the box open and pulled apart the flaps to get a glimpse of what was inside, but the box was completely full of packing peanuts, which I thought people didn't use anymore.

I stuffed my arms through the packing peanuts, waving them around in search of something else. My hands smacked several other objects and then another box. Curious, I pulled the box out first, shaking off the packing peanuts as I did so. Kitty was thrilled to play with the strays.

There was a thin layer of plastic over the top half of the box, which showed seven doll faces. Another note was attached to the front of the box which read:

Because you like kpop.

My breath caught. How did anyone know about that little secret? I looked around my apartment to see if anyone was somehow watching me, but there were no cameras and there was no possible way anyone could see through my few windows.

I ripped off the note and threw it back inside the box. I then traced my fingers along the edges of the box before popping it open. I pulled out a tray and the seven dolls came out with it, securely fastened to the cardboard by small pieces of wire.

"Beautiful," I let out my breath at the sight of them, immediately struggling to free them so that I could examine them better. Another slip of paper fell out from behind them which listed their names in order.

Jeon Jungkook. Kim Taehyung. Park Jimin. Kim Namjoon. Jung Hoseok. Min Yoongi. Kim Seokjin.

All names that I'd never heard before in my life, so how did they relate to kpop aside from the Korean names?

I pulled out my iPhone and did a quick google search on their names. Nothing relevant came up.

"Hmm," I muttered.

I fixed my glasses upon the bridge of my nose as I picked up the first one, Jeon Jungkook, and turned him over in my hand a few times to take in his entire appearance. His skin was surprisingly soft, next to his simple white t-shirt and black skinny jeans that all of them wore. The only difference in their outfits was their shoes. Jungkook's were a pair of wheat colored work boots.

I then took the second one, Kim Taehyung, so that I could compare his face to Jungkook's. That was when I noticed how different their facial features were, each uniquely made in their own way. I looked over the rest of them and the same pattern followed. They had similarities, but they weren't too alike. They had different heights, hairstyles, and facial features. But they were all around seven inches.

It was odd to me how someone could have that much time on their hands. Paying attention to detail, as if the dolls were their own characters crafted out of their imagination.

Characters. That reminded me. I need to finish working on a wattpad update for a story I was working on.

I shrugged it off, still curious about the rest of what was in the box. Kitty sneaked up on the dolls while I did so, but I swatted her away before she could do any damage.

I pulled out a packet stuffed with different outfits, and another one with multiple pairs of different shoes. I set those aside and found little boxes for furniture, which happened to include beds that I would need to set up for them. There was also multiple things that appeared for them to be things to do, including instruments and games and the like.

But another thought dawned on me. What was I supposed to do with all of it? I was a grown adult who received accessories for a doll house several years too late.

____

Unedited.

Who's your bias? Bias wrecker?

See you next chapter :)