Prologue

Adam (before the curse)

 Clink. My glass makes the linking sound my ears are so used to against the girls. "To Adam!" She screams into the open night. I smile and raise my glass to my lips. The red liquid spills down my throat. I swallow it and set the glass down on the table before me. The girl says hers down as well and giggles drunkenly. Her dark hair falls over her shoulders in curls. Her lips are stained red with a mix of alchohol and lipstick. She fingers the lapels of my expensive suit. I pull away. "What's the matter?" She slurs. "Afraid?" I chuckle. "You wish." 

I pull her over to me by her waist which earns me a surprised giggle. I pull her closer until we share the same breathe and our foreheads touch. "Call this Afraid?" And then i kiss her. It's nothing extraordinary I've had better kisses but she seems into it. She is fun, shame I'll never see her again. She's just another girl from a party. My own party even. 

She flaunts off probably to find some other guy. I sit heavily in my chair and take another sip from my glass. It's half full now. I'm on my fifth glass. Suddenly a girl walks up to me twisting her fingers. "Can I help you?" I ask annoyed. "Um, my name is Mia." She says nervously. "I've been watching you for a long time, we go to the same high school." I wave for more line. Watching me? What a creep. "I just thought maybe you would go on a date with me?" She ducks her head. I laugh. 

"A date? With you?" Her gaze meets mine. Fierce and annoyed. "Sorry But I try to stay away from freak shows." Her eyes turn cold and I stumble back. I feel as if I just dunked my hands into ice water. I look down panicked and watch the cold blue ice spread over my hands. The small crystals pinch my skin and numb it. I cry out and look around for help but everyone has disipeared. "I told you I'd been watching you." The girl says but her voice is no longer meek now it is strong and resonates across the deck. My chest lurches into pain. 

"What's- happening-?" I wheeze. Her ugly face melts away. Her nose straitened itself and her hair thickens and turns blond growing and lifting levitating around her. Her acne disipears and her skin melts into perfect rosy cheeks and pale skin. My throat Ices over and each breathe becomes harder and harder to get in, it becomes raspy. Her brown eyes ice over and become a very pale blue. She smiles sadly but her eyes are bright. "Your heart is cold, I am merely changing your outer appearance to match who you are inside." 

My breathe catches and then slowly the ice begins to melt. Feeling returns to my hands but when I look down at them, they aren't my hands anymore. The skin is now pink and fragile like a babies but as I watch fuzz grows out of my pores and grows at least an inch thick. I whimper. "You have until this rose is dead to make someone love you for who you are. You have until then to change. The petals will fall but when the flower is empty and bare you cannot be redeemed. This is your only chance." I look up but the sorcerer is gone and in her place is a fragile red and white rose. I am doomed.