Chapter nine

I sit there huddled in the corner in the empty cell for a long time. I can't count the hours because I left my phone and watch ast home in my rush. There is a bench at the other end of my cell but I don't bother to use it. The ground is cold and damp. I pull my robe tighter around me wishing for a warm jacket. Cold still sleeps through threatening and horrible. My tears stopped long ago but only because I cried myself out. I have nothing left in me. Is this how it will be for the rest of my life? 

I pull my knees even closer even though it feels as if they will snap. Cold seeps into my bones causing me to shiver. I can no longer feel my nose and my lips seem to big. As if they will no longer fit on my face let alone for a coherent word. Not that there is anyone to talk to anyway. I squeeze my eyes shut and clench my teeth to stop them from chattering. There will be no sleep. It's to cold for that. I try to sleep in vain desperate for an escape. Suddenly a with a creek the door flings open. I open my eyes and peer out of the cell. Movement catches my eye but as soon as I turn painfully my head averything is motionless.

I lose concentration and my teeth click against each other. I pull my robe closer and stumble over to the door. The keys hang from the empty lock and otherwise there is just a lamp on the floor. That's weird, I could have sworn that wasn't there before. Suddenly two wires from inside the beautifully decorated lampshade unfurl and back on me over. I jump back and the lamp beckons again. I inch forward. The lamp hops toward the stairs and falls. On instinct I sit down and catch the lamp. It points with its wire up the stairs. "Do you want me to go up there?" I whisper. The lamp tilts as if to nod. I shake off the confusion and walk up the stairs slowely carefull not to make a sound. 

The lamp points me down a narrow hallway into a small dimly lit room. I take the wire that was swishing around like a tail and plug it into the wall. The lamp lights up casting a pale blue glow across the room. I watch stunned as the light reflects off the mirrors covering the walls. There must be at least twenty mirrors of different shapes and sizes. I watch as faces appear in each mirror shaking their heads and blinking rapidly. I hold a hand to my open mouth in wonder. One mirror closest to the lamp catches my attention. "Hello!" It says happily. I stumble back. The face frowns. It has thick eyebrows and a curly mustache. It as all the faces is in complete black and white. "Don't Be Afraid. My name is Lucian!"

"Ah..." I look around at all the faces most staring at me. "Who- who are you?" I Ask. "What are you?" I look back at Lucian expectantly. He shakes his head. "I am Lucian, I'm afraid I used to be more. A man even. Now I am that sad old lamp over there." He says flicking his gaze towards the lamp which waves at me. "But how can you be te lamp if you are a mirror?" I question. "A good question indeed! You see I am the lamp but I can only talk to you through this mirror!" Is this a dream? "Why?" He shakes his head again. "I didn't create the dreaded curse, magic does as magic will do I suppose." I close my eyes and open them again but everything remains as it was. "A curse?" I Ask. "All will be explained in time my dear." Answers the candle. I must be going crazy.