Chapter twenty

Damian doesn't seem like the beast I am so used to thinking he is. He hurt me, impriaoned me and my father but... now he seems, I don't know. I convinced him to show me the mansion even though I'd already seen it. He pulls back a seemingly misplaced coat hanger on the wall with his great arms. The coat hanger clicks and a hole appears in the wall of the entryway. "Wow!" I gasp. He smiles a bit though I shiver at the sight of his canines. "There are secret passages here?" He nods and steps into the hole motioning for me to follow. Suddenly I'm hesitant. It could be a trap but at last I step inside as well. The wall closes behind us and i almost jump. Suddenly lights flicker on lighting up the dark. Stairs lead down and the beast-Damian- steps down them his paws making footsteps that echo all the way down. 

He doesn't even look back at me but I follow anyway worrying about the possibility of a last The flight of stairs cuts off and we step into a big room. He flicks in the light and a gasp. It's huge, with bookshelves on either side and tables full of maps, mirrors and other random supplies. "What is this place?" I Ask. "This is the room where I store almost all the magic items I posses." He answers with a gruff voice. "Where did you get all these things?" I Ask trailing the bookshelves. "From the enchantr-" He makes a choking noise. "Are you Okay?" He waves it off. "Fine." I frown. "Where did you get these again?" I move on to the maps looking them over. He doesn't answer but I don't really notice because I'm to busy trying to figure out the magic. "Do you want to see?" He Asks. I nod. He lumbers over and picks up a map brushing it off gently. 

Handing it to me he instructs. "Imagine where you wish to see and keep good hold of the map." I nod and he holds on as well. I imagine my room. I want to see if they left it the same. Suddenly the world starts to spin around me and I almost fall. Damian catches me but I keep tight hold of the map. And then all is still.i open my eyes and stand imesiatky amazed at the sight of my room. "You Can let go now." Damian huffs. I let go of him and nd the map and walk over to the rose painting. My room is exactly the same as I left it if not a bit dustier. Suddenly the door opens and my father walks in. "Father!" I cry running up to him. I throw my arms out for a hug but walk right through him. He carries on as if I'd never even been there. "Father?" I whisper. He stares at the painting como,Evelyn oblivious to my distress. 

Damian claps a paw over my shoulder. "He can't see you, you aren't actually here." I nod tears building up in my eyes. "I want to leave." I whisper. The beast nods and the world spins again. I fall over without his stability and we are back in the secret room at the mansion. I pick myself up and leave without a word. Damian doesn't move to stop me and I emerge back at the entryway. I have to escape back home. Before the beast can possibly make is up the stairs I fling open the door and run. I run down the steps and past the fountain. I run down the driveway and am almost to the barrier when three dogs circle me. I stop. One of them must be a husky, the other maybe a Labrador. The third dog I can't really tell, it's seems to be a golden retriever mix though. I eye them not sure if they intend to hurt me. 

It's only when the husky bares it's teeth and starts to growl when I move toward the barrier do I become anxious. Unexpectedly I sprint toward the barrier desperate for escape. The dogs are faster but he barriers not far, i Can make it. I slam into the invisible barrier bouncing back. I jump up and press my hands against the barrier. Damian was right. I can't escape, I am yanked back by the bottom of my dress and I fall. The dogs advance growling and snapping their teeth. I try to stand but the golden retriever jumps on top of me knocking me to the ground. No. I try to push it off but it snaps at me. I touch my arm gently. My fingers come back red. And suddenly all the dogs bite at me. I cover my face but my arms become bloody. 

Then I hear and roar. The beast bellows and runs yanking them off with such force they go flying across the yard. One lands on his back and bites holding on by the hair on Damian's neck. Damian howls and I scramble away as the husky advances on me again. Even with the Labrador on his back Damian yanks the husky away from me. I can't breathe. Damian turns suddenly and flings the dog from his back into the fountain. The dig still comes up dripping wet and almost completely unharmed. Damian grabs me and runs toward the house but he's weak and he falls. His back is bleeding his fur stained red. Even still he swipes at the dogs as they advance again. Suddenly the dogs all freeze and look at each other slowely backing off again. As they disipear I look in the direction they had all been looking in.

A beautiful dog with a perfectly maintained coat looks back at us. She looks like a golden retriever, at least her fur does but I honestly can't tell what she is. Her muzzle is wet and her ears perked. But it isn't her fur that surprises me. It's how I can see right through her and her paws don't taouch the ground. She eyes me. "Thank you." I breathe. She bows her head in acknowledgment. She looks at Damian who breathes heavily. I look to. His eyes are full of fear and sadness. He tries to scramble away but I grab his arm. "We have to get you back inside. Can you walk?" He nods breathlessly and i haul him up the best I can. Together we walk to the house.