Chapter nineteen

Weeks passed in the same lonely manner. I sank into depression slowly only revived by the adventures I found in the library. Just over a month has passed and I wish with all my heart I could return to my family. I watch them from time to time. When Lucian passes by sometimes he's willing to show me my family. I don't know how long it has been in the outside world but grey hairs have invaded my fathers head and my sister is often gone. I don't look at them a lot because it hurts greatly. You'd think the pain would have disipated to some extent. It hasn't. I miss them and have no one to talk to now. I find myself talking to myself or the characters in my books. Sometimes even the paintings on the walls.

I haven't seen the beast in a while either. Sometimes I see him hiding in the shadows but as soon as he realizes I see him he leaves, disipearing into the shadows once more. He hasn't spoken to me again and i don't dare seek him out. Though I did search all over the castle for him once, I wanted to ask again to be set free. That has been my only interaction with the beast. Asking to be set free. Now as I sit beside the fireplace once more, book in my left hand, I finger the claw marks across my cheek that he gave me the third time I asked. He almost never answered just grunted and stomped off. The book I have has been long since finished but I have nothing better to do so I read it again. As I skim the last page once more I set the book down gently. I sigh. It's time to go eat lunch my stomach grumbles.

After picking up all my books and carefully rearranging them on the shelves as I found them I head to the dining room again. The only time I really get up is to go to the bathroom and eat. My legs ache from sitting on them all day as I walk. As usual lunch is layed out for me and I sit down. Digging into my food I fill my belly. I hear a soft creak from behind me but I do most days and by now I just assume it's the staff. I look back anyway but this time I see something long and spindly disipear into the shadows. I frown. Is someone watching me? "Hello?" I Ask. Silence. I stand and creep up to the shadows and this time I see the outline of something. I step closer to see the frightful face of the beast. My breath hiccups and I step back. The beast scowls. "What are you doing here? We're you watching me?" I Ask. He glares but doesn't respond. "We're you watching me?" I ask a little more forcefully. "Maybe." He grumbles. "Why?" 

"No reason. It just gets lonely here." He says. "Why dongpt you just leave then?" I ask. He shakes his head. "The barrier, I can't." I frown. "But I crossed and recrossed the barrier." He grunts. "That was before you promised to stay here." That confuses me but I decide to question that later. "Will you come out of the shadows? It's making it hard to see your face." He sinks fartger back into the shadows. "Why would you want to see my face? It's hideous." I don't want to lie and say it's not so I stay silent for a minute. "Would you just come out? If I'm to talk to you I at least want to see who I'm talking to." I say at last. "Why would you want to talk to me anyway?" He grumbles. "It's terribly lonely here, I could use someone to talk to. Even if it's my imprisoner." To this he walks slowel out of the shadows and sits heavily in the giant chair across from mine at the table.

"Why were you watching me?" I ask again after sitting back in my seat. "It's lonely here." He repeats. "That's all?" I laugh. "You could have sought me out you know." He grunts But won't look at me. I think for a minute. "What is your name?" His eyes flick my way for a moment. "Why would you want to know that?" I fiddle with my dress and stare at him uncomfortably. "Well I can't very well go around calling you the beast now can I?" He furrows his brows. "The servants do." I scoff. "Well first of all they are not servantsand for two I am not them." He tilts his head like a curious puppy. "You make good points." I frown again. "And you avoided my question." He sighs and after a moment answers. "Very well, you may call me Damian." I smile. "Damian, I like that." He shifts but doesn't answer. "Well Damian, I don't think you are all the beast your cut out to be."