Shaken Up Part Six

Hi! I'm sorry this took some time... 😅

---

Louis wanted so badly to tell Harry that he had them, but he thought against it. He wasn't sure what his dads had planned, and maybe saying "you have us until my dads hand you over to another new family!" wasn't the best way to comfort Harry right now. 

"It's gonna be okay, Harry." Louis decided to leave it at that. It wasn't the best he could say, but it was the only thing he could come up with that was remotely comforting. 

Upon arriving home, Louis could see that his dads and Zayn were already up waiting for them on the front porch. Louis looked at Harry and could see that the kid was clearly stressed out: Harry was looking at the adults with nothing but fear in his eyes.

"Harry, look at me, buddy." Louis said in the gentlest tone he could muster. "They aren't mad at you. They were a little worried," Louis paused because he realized that was the understatement of the century: His parents were this close to turning over every house and bush in the neighborhood to find Harry, but Harry didn't need to worry about that. "but they aren't mad." Louis continued.

"I...I..." Harry mumbled, but he stopped himself. He knew better than to speak up. Louis however, caught on and didn't want to let this one go. He could see his parents and Zayn getting more fidgety by the second, so he signaled to them that he'll be out in a moment. He wanted to talk to Harry for himself first. 

"You can tell me anything." Louis gently prompted. "I just want to help." 

"I don't wanna go inside." Harry sadly mumbled. His voice was as soft as ever, but Louis was certain of what he heard.

"Why not?" 

"'cause I don't belong." Harry sniffled. "I... I don't wanna intrude anymore."

"Harry, you aren't intruding." Louis said with a frown. "Our parents love taking care of you, even more than they'd probably admit." He chuckled. "They miss having a little one to take care of, you know?" 

Harry looked down at his hands; they suddenly seemed a whole lot more interesting. He didn't know what to say, Louis just didn't get it. 

"You know, when I was little I had to go through a lot of homes, too." Louis said, making Harry look at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Well, before they finally adopted me," Louis said, referring to Liam and Niall. "I had to go to new homes practically every month." 

"Wait... you're adopted?" Harry frowned in confusion, making Louis frown in confusion too. Wasn't that a given? Oh... Harry probably didn't understand that part of life yet. As much as he wanted to corrupt Harry's little mind, he knew his dads would kill him for it, and now was probably not the right time.

"Yeah, silly." Louis smiled. "There was even a time I only stayed with this family for two days before they got rid of me."

"Two days?" Harry asked, his eyes filled with shock. Even he didn't have to go through something like that!

"I was a bit of a... hyperactive child." Louis laughed. The memories used to hurt Louis, but now he easily brushed them off. If he hadn't gone through all that, then Niall and Liam wouldn't have found him. It was all well in the past now.

"My point is, Harry... things may be difficult now, trust me, I've been there." Louis sighed before continuing. "And the process is different for every kid so maybe I can't give you concrete tips or something on how to get adopted, but do know that no matter how cliche this sounds; things do get better." Louis said as he gave Harry a reassuring smile. "Wow, even I had to cringe at myself." He said, which actually managed to make Harry giggle.