1

Arion raced through the dense forest

Arion raced through the dense forest. The thrill of chase pushed him to accelerate, as his legs led him through the trees. In the distance, the hoofbeats of his friends could be heard and Arion forced his legs to move faster. His heart pounded in his ears and the wind whipped through his long mane. This had been the yearlings new favorite hobby, and much to the herds surprise Arion had won every race the yearlings challenged him to. The once lanky foal who couldn't walk straight now was a tall, strong yearling.

Arion raced on the landscape his hoof spraying dirt behind him as he turned narrowly, galloping down the hill. Racing through a creek, the shallow water rushed by his hooves and the sun shone through the tree's leaves. He tore through the grass as he galloped up the bank towards the hill, he could hear the splashing water, and he knew his palomino friend was close by. He buzzed with the thrill the competition presented. Arion pushed himself to go faster his nostrils flared out, his eyes scanning his surroundings. He was almost expecting Dusty to jump out of one of the thickets.

He couldn't hear his friends now, he almost wondered if they had gotten lost. Pushing the thought out of his mind he commanded his muscles to work faster. They burned with the movement but Arion didn't pay attention, he could see the finish. The Outlook was as clear as day Arion breathed a sigh of relief knowing he was almost there. He shot out of the forest clearing breaking through the trees. Racing by the river's edge the water rushed with an unknown energy. Large rocks stuck out of the surface making the River seem more dangerous than it already was.

The dust clouded behind Arion, clinging to his hide. This was the hardest part of the race, Arion's nostrils flared out hoping to get more air before the dust consumed it all. The finish was almost there, his body begged him to stop but Arion pushed on. The red rock scuffed his hooves and the dust had started to build up. Running blindly through the cloud of sand Arion could barely make out the end. The Outlook edge was getting closer now.

His muscle burned and his legs felt as if they would give out. Arion felt himself starting to slow. He tried to push himself faster but it was no use. He could hear Dusty in the distance. He gave a final push sliding toward a stop. His hooves kicked up small pebbles that flew into his face. He breathed heavily as a small smile played on his face, he had won. Arion's blue eyes watched carefully as Dusty broke through the tree line with Sunny in hot pursuit. The horses fought for the lead in front but Dusty eventually pushed through keeping strides in front of the mare. Sliding to a stop the horses stood looking at each other still trying to catch their breath.

"Well, you gave me a run for my grass Sunshine," Dusty said smiling.

Sunny rolled her eyes, "You know I hate that name, tell him Arion."

Arion laughed and Dusty gave Sunny a victorious smile. Looking over his shoulder Arion looked at the scene before him The River Stone Herd stood in the summer grazing grounds. The sun started to set meaning the horses would start to settle down. Foals played by their mother's sides and horses talked and ate. He smiled, Arion loved his homeland.