4

Tell me what you think about this chapter in the comments!

Word Count: 1800

Song of the Chapter: Friendship Song

"I'm bored," Dusty announced pawing at the ground

Sunny rolled her eyes, "You're always bored.

"I am not," Dusty said faking surprise.

Arion shook his head, "You're so dramatic."

"I am not appreciated here," Dusty muttered.

Arion and Sunny laughed and Dusty smiled back, happy he could lighten the mood.

"What do you want to do?" Arion said, his border patrol shift would not be for awhile and he thought he could have some fun until then.

"Lets race," Sunny offered.

Dusty nodded agreeing, he knew Arion would win, his friend always did but for the fun of it, he agreed.

"The Outlook is the finish," Arion said.

"It always is."

They nodded walking toward their start an old fallen log lay at the entrance of Branch Forest. The horses always jumped it and the foals loved to play on it pretending to be the Protector stallion.

"Ready!" Dusty called out.

"Yep."

"Uh-huh!"

"Goooo!"

Arion's tensed muscles pushed him forward his long legs carrying him toward the finish. The friends weaved between trees jumping logs racing down the ditches. Dusty tripped and Arion smiled taking the time to get faster. He could see Sunny starting to fade, he knew she would. There was a rustle in the bushes, but Arion paid no mind leaping over a stump. A twig snapped and an animal leaped from the brush. Large claws stretched out ready to snag one of his friends. A loud screech pierced the silence. Arion skidded to a stop looking over his shoulder.

"Sunny!"

Dusty's ears perked forward and he raced over to his friend. Arion leaped over the stump again. The mountain lion had been seen close to the herd, and Arion felt like he should have taken care of it then. Sunny was bucking trying to get the beast off its claws were deep in her hide. The cat snarled, hooking its claws deeper into her hide. Sunny whimpered again running blindly through the forests as fast as she could. Arion raced after her, he was so close to the cat. Making a quick decision he lept into the air crashing into his friend. She screamed as she hit the ground. Arion watched as the cat fell onto it back. Arion raced after it taking one last look as it disappeared into the forest.

"Are you ok?!" Dusty said racing back to her.

"No, she is not ok! She just got attacked by a mountain lion!" Arion hissed racing back.