L I A I S O N

d o n ' tp l a yt h es o n gy e t

d o n ' t
p l a y
t h e
s o n g
y e t
...

V A N E S S A

"Are you sure you can't come? I want you to go to Paris with me." Mars gives me puppy eyes as he zips up his suitcase.

"Mars, I want to, but I can't." I sigh. His shoulders slump a bit as his eyes go to the floor. "It's just that since my mom has cancer, she's been needing me. Faust hasn't slept in God knows how long and I don't want to leave her alone when she's going through something like this." I explain, tears welling my eyes as I do so.

"Vanessa, it's okay don't fret. I understand. Family is important." He hugs me and kisses my forehead. "I will buy you the most extravagant gifts and send you flowers every week." He kisses my hand.

"How are you going to send me flowers?" I arch my brow.

"Oh I have my ways. I'll even buy your mother anything she wants."

"Thank you Mars." A tear slips my cheek, he's quick to whisk it away. "Promise me you'll come back to me safely."

"I promise my love. I'll always come back to you." He kisses me softly, my lips tingle. "I love you." He whispers. It's the first time the words come from him, and my heart weighs heavy.

"I love you." I whisper back and kiss him deeper, hoping he could feel my love in the kiss. Mars opens the front door, his Uber waiting for him.

"I'll call you as soon as I get to the airport and when I land. Basically I'll call you to update you on my whereabouts." He chuckles, making me smile. He kisses me once more and embraces me a I inhale his cologne. "Goodbye, I love you." He waves.

"I love you too." I wave back and watch him out his bags in the trunk and get into the car. He rolls his window down and waves as he pulls away from me.
*
*
"Did Mars leave already?" Em asks me as she plops down on the couch next to me.

"Yeah, he's on his plane right now." I sulk.

"Don't worry V, he'll be back before you know it. It's only three months, not three years. Plus he's a good guy and he's never pull dumb shit on you."

"You're right."

"I know I am." We laugh lightly. "How's your mom doing?"

"She's doing better. The chemotherapy seems to be working."

"How's Faust holding up?"

"He's not sleeping and barely eating. He's strong though, he's just worried about her."

"How are you?"

"I don't know. I mean my mother has cancer, my boyfriend is in Paris for three months. I just don't know." I begin to sob and she cradles me like a child.