Chapter 5: A Watchful Eye (con't)

“What’s with everyone spacing out?”

*sigh* This is gonna be harder than I thought.

Natsuki is clearly dissatisfied by the question and retaliates by pointing a finger right at Chris.

“How can you talk about spacing out? You do it all the time!” she says with a defiant authority.

“Yeah, maybe so, but you look more exhausted than I do so…”

Just f*** off already, damn it.

“I am not exhausted!”

“And you look hungry by the way,” Chris says while poking her right in the middle of her tummy.

Natsuki blushes at the touch but quickly regains her composure for the moment.

“Just leave me alone already. I don't wanna deal with you right now.”

He can sense that his presence with her wouldn't improve the mood with each other so he decides to leave her and watch from a distance. Before he leaves though, Chris goes through his backpack and pulls out an extra plate of food that he had planned on saving for later. The plate had two pancakes and some of the eggs that he and Sayori had cooked only an hour ago. He pokes at Natsuki again who looks surprised to see the plate of food extended to her.

“I know, I'll go away right now but can you also at least eat something? It really sucks seeing you without strength. Just eat this so you'll feel better.” He takes one of Natsuki’s hands and slowly makes it to where she's eventually holding the plate with one hand.

“Please, can you do this one favor?”

She looks hesitantly at Chris for a few seconds, not wanting to admit it but admiring the fact that he even made the offer. After a long period of silence, she finally takes her other hand and tugs the plate away from him.

*quietly* “Thank you.”

He's able to hear her and says you're welcome sincerely. He starts to walk away and Natsuki can't help but stop him before he leaves.

“Wait!”

Chris turns around for a moment, looking at her in curiosity. She tries to say something but her words end up in murmurs.

“Natsuki.”

“Y-Yeah?”

“... I'll help you out soon. Don't worry.”

Natsuki feels a pit in her stomach as he walks down the hallway, going down the stairs. She tries to ignore her suspicions but the signs she saw are too specific.

Don’t do anything stupid Chris.

=====

As Chris continues to walk down the flights of stairs to the bottom floor, thoughts begin to arise about his circumstances.

If I remember, Natsuki is being abused by her father, no doubt about that. But what about Yuri? Nothing really connects her to suffering if I remember correctly. So why does she cut herself?

Why?

Why?

Suddenly, the memory of Monika comes into his mind, when she was mentioning Chris of Yuri’s personal feelings about her knifes.

~~~

“Chris, I think you should stay away from Yuri for a while. Not that it’s a bad thing, but you’ve kind of been triggering her obsession. You know, now that I’m saying it, I think Yuri enjoys cutting herself. Like she gets some sort of high or something. It’s funny, actually. You could even say it’s a sexual thing.”