Chapter 9: Delusion

As he arrives closer to the school, he notices how people are looking at him since he’s still smoking so he flicks away his cigarette before anyone becomes too suspicious of him. Eventually he gets to the school when the dismissal bell rings, many students walking out of its buildings. He makes his way through them and starts walking up the steps until he sees a familiar face.

“Monika?”

She looks towards him, a face full of worry and guilt transforming into comfort and relief. She hugs him for a bit.

“I was so worried about you! Sayori told me that you skipped school today and she didn’t know where you went. Where did you go?”

“Well, I just needed some time for myself to rethink how I’ve been doing everything so… yeah.” he says, a hint of remorse in his tone.

They stay in their hug for a bit before Monika realizes that the club has already started. “Oh shoot, Chris, let’s go already! The club started a while ago.” He just laughs a bit and kisses her on the cheek before letting her go, a slight blush covering her face. “I know, I know. Let’s go then!” They make their way up the steps, and get to the clubroom where Natsuki, Sayori, and Yuri look up to see Monika with Chris.

Natsuki: “You’re back!”

Sayori: “Chris…”
Yuri: “Thank goodness you’re okay.”

He looks a bit shyly towards them, he did just skip the entire school day after all. Natsuki walks up to him and gently fists him in the gut.

Chris: “Ow… what was that for?”

Natsuki: “For skipping school, dummy.” She says with a playful expression on her face, smiling mockingly at him.

Sayori looks at Chris with a smile but then sadly looks at the floor, clearly depressed about what happened in the morning. He excuses himself from the others and sits down with her, worried about how she’s feeling.

“Sayori…”

She doesn’t respond, spacing out as she stares at the floor beneath her.

“Sayori.”

She still doesn’t respond. Chris puts his arm around her waist, getting stares from the others.

“Yeah, Chris?”

He gently turns her around and stares into her eyes, ignoring the other three.

“Look, I'm sorry for pushing you aside earlier like that. It wasn't fair for me to skip school and ignore your wish.”

She looked up to him, showing a hint of forgiveness in her expression.

“I shouldn't have been so negative earlier. For that, I'm really sorry.”

She had a slight smile on her face now, looking at Chris with caring and empathy.

“It's okay. I get why you had to do that earlier. If it was me, I probably would've been too stressed to handle it.”

Sayori pulled him closer to her face, making the others worry about what she'd do next. Chris started to become nervous, the thought finally occurring in his mind what would happen if the two kissed.

“I love you, Chris.”

He startled at those words, fearing they would come out. Before he could stop her though, she pulled him into a passionate kiss, keeping him near her for quite a while.

Natsuki: “What the hell…”

Yuri: “...”

Monika: “... What?”