8. "Would you just let me take care of you for a second?"

I looked down at my phone for the third time since Damian and I sat down.

Caller ID: Julian.

God, it was like Alexa invoked him.

"Is everything okay?"

I looked up at Damian and wondered for a brief second thought about how he would react if I told him that I have been dating a guy for the past three months. The reaction probably wouldn't be good. No. Damian shall not find out about Julian.

"Sorry, just work." I frowned. "I forgot I needed to extend my days off." I realized.

Today was my last day off from the little vacation so I made a mental note to call today. I was lucky I rarely missed work so I had a lot of sick hours accumulated. Enough to get me the next few days off and still have more left.

Damian reached for his cup of coffee. "Where do you work?"

"In a bank." I paused. "I'm a manager."

He raised his eyebrows. "And how is it? Do you like it?"

"I do, actually. I like the schedule and I have some pretty decent coworkers." I said as I used the fork to cut a piece of pancake and put it in my mouth.

"So you've been in Nevada all this time?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"You know, it wasn't until you left that I realized I didn't know where your mom lived."

I looked at him. "Well, we never visited her. She always came here, remember?"

"We should have." Damian said slowly. "I know part of the reason we never did is because I didn't have time."

"I never held it against you, Damian." I said sympathetically. I really didn't. I married a medical student who had a career waiting for him in his father's clinic. I knew what I was getting into and I respected what Damian did too much to resent him for it. Did I like it? No. But I didn't blame Damian.

"I didn't know where to look for you," he continued thoughtfully as if he was looking into the past. "I realized I didn't know much about you."

"I'm sorry." I said quietly.

He chuckled dryly. "Don't apologize. I wasn't a good husband to you. I guess I got what I deserved."

"Don't say that." I said placing my hand on top of his. "What I did to you-disappearing like that..." I shook my head as I took my hand off of his and placed it on my lap. "It's unforgiveable. I t wasn't the right way to handle the situation. I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, well I think I'm to blame too." Damian said after a moment.

I looked down at my food which suddenly didn't look as appetizing as it did a few minutes ago. Silence took over our table and we sat there and finished our breakfast with the chatter of people talking around us, like two strangers...

__________________________________

The tow pound was open when we got there and as we walked in, I began to panic. I didn't know how much it was going to be. I had been spending money all weekend and I could only hope that I had enough in my credit card.

The last thing I needed was Damian thinking I'm not financially stable. I had been doing pretty good for myself. Way better than I was two years ago.

Damian and I sat in silence as we waited for the car to be released. I played with the car keys as we waited and Damian went over his phone.

"Your car is ready." The man behind the computer finally called in a boring voice.

Damian and I stood up and walked to the counter while the man clicked something on the computer. "It's $468.11."