31. "Amazing, isn't it?"

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for your patience throughout this journey! We are finally here. The last few chapters of this story begin. Hope you guys enjoy :)

___________________________________________________________________

The doctor moved the wand across my gel-y stomach.

I was nervous. I didn't know what to expect in this first visit. Damian said they would look for a heartbeat. I guess that was what terrified me most. A heartbeat. I didn't want to think anything negative but what if they didn't found one? I was already in love with this baby. I knew Damian was too. I didn't want to disappoint him. I wanted to have this baby more than anything in this world. I suddenly couldn't see my future without it. I just couldn't.

I had found the OB-GYN online about two weeks ago. Debra Wickman was her name and she had a lot of good reviews. She was a nice lady. She seemed to be in her late 30's with her black hair pulled back. She moved the wand lower on my stomach and I looked away, suddenly impatient.

Damian was standing right next to me. He held my hand as he looked at the monitor. He had went over my blood results as Dr. Wickman explained them to me. She said my blood pressure was normal and she confirmed that I was indeed pregnant. She said I was about 9 weeks which was what I had calculated. I would be due around late December. December 21st was the date she gave me. She also suggested that I start taking prenatal vitamins. I told her proudly that I already did.

I focused on Damian as we waited for what seemed forever. God. I loved Damian. He was so handsome. So gentle. And most importantly, he loved me. He actually loved me. I couldn't wait to start this exciting part of our lives. We were going to become parents. Parents. How did that happen?

A sound filled the room then and a gasp escaped from my mouth as I turned to look at the black screen. Lub-DUB. Lub-DUB. Lub-DUB. Lub-DUB.

Dr. Wickman turned to smile at me. "And we have a heartbeat."

"Oh my God." I whispered as I listened to the sound. I couldn't believe I was listening to my baby's heartbeat. A baby that was inside me. A baby that was mine. The baby looked like a little bean in the screen and Dr. Wickman pointed to. She was saying something but I couldn't really pay attention to her. All I could hear was the heartbeat. It was like a miracle. Damian and I had made that baby.

Damian was grinning. "Amazing, isn't it?"

I nodded as I cleaned the tear on my cheek. "It really is."

The room was silent for a few minutes as Damian and I tried to memorize that sound. The baby had a heartbeat. I wished I could listen to it all day. Then I realized I had a phone! I took it out and recorded a whole minute of my baby's heartbeat.

Dr. Wickman left the room afterwards to go get the sonogram pictures. I cleaned the gel off my stomach with the towel she had handed to me then Damian helped me sit up.

"Well both baby and mom are healthy," Dr. Wickman said when she came back.

"Thank you so much," I said to her as she handed me the pictures.

"Oh it's my pleasure. Congratulations to the both of you."

"Thank you, ma'am," Damian said but I was already walking out of the room to find Alexa in the waiting room. She had wanted to give us some privacy and now I couldn't wait to show her the pictures.

"How was it?" She asked when she saw me.

"We heard the heartbeat!" I said excitedly then handed her the pictures.