16. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

I looked at myself in the mirror while I combed my hair. My skin was darker. I had forgotten to put sunscreen earlier today and now I was sunburned.

Fantastic.

I fixed my bangs with my fingers and took a deep breath. I half-ran into the shower as soon as Damian and I walked into the house. Now, my hair was damp from the shower and I was wearing my pajama shorts with a white blouse. Thank God Alexa had done the laundry. I couldn't wait to get home, though, to my own closet.

I was dreading the conversation that we were about to have. I didn't want to talk but I knew we had to. The time was here.

With another deep breath, I turned the doorknob and opened the door. The room was illuminated with the light on the ceiling. The TV was on but the volume was low.

Damian was sitting on the edge of the bed. He was still wearing his black suit. He seemed tense. He didn't seem like the care-free man that was on the beach with me earlier.

I frowned, sensing that something was wrong. "Damian?" I asked as I walked towards him.

He looked up at me. He was definitely angry. "Who is Julian?"

I froze. "I'm sorry-what?"

Damian stood up and I took a step back at the same time, suddenly feeling intimidated by him.

"Who the fuck is Julian?" He asked, clenching his jaw. "Your phone rang and I answered. He was looking for his girlfriend."

I gulped. "Why did you answer my phone?"

"Answer the question, Rebecca."

I sighed. "Julian is someone I've been seeing."

Damian clenched his jaw. "For how long?"

I looked away from his glare and then back at him. "About three months."

Damian chuckled dryly. "And you were giving me a hard time about Karen." He shook his head in disbelief.

I felt anger built up inside me. "So you're with Karen and I'm with Julian. What the hell is the problem?"

Damian grabbed me by the shoulders. "The problem is that you left me!" He gripped my shoulders. "You are my wife! And you left me!"

There it was. The anger he had been hiding for the past few days. In the end, all it took was him finding out about Julian.

His words hurt but I knew I deserved it. I wanted this right? I wanted him to be angry at me. I wanted him to yell at me. I deserved this and more. I forced myself to not cry. I had to take this bravely.

"You left me, Rebecca," he repeated, angrily. "Without telling me anything. You just disappeared without a trace. You didn't think about how that would make me feel. You didn't give a fuck about me." He shook his head. "You are my wife. You left me...and now you're with someone else? While I suffered, you were busy looking for another husband."

"It wasn't like that." I chocked out.

He shook his head angrily. "While I looked desperately for you-you were already fucking someone else."

I put my hands on his chest and pushed him away. "Oh please, like you haven't been fucking Karen."

"I haven't!" He yelled.

I stared at him without saying anything, trying to decide whether he was saying the truth.

Damian looked at me. He ran a hand through his hair. "There were times that I was tempted-yes. Times when we were close-" he clenched his jaw. "Maybe I should have."