30. "For the record."

Rebecca's POV

I looked down at the toilet and waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing was coming. This had been happening way too often now and I was tired. I would feel like throwing up so I would run to the toilet and then the feeling would linger but I wouldn't throw up. I hated throwing up so when I had to do it, I just wanted to get it over with. Unfortunately, pregnancy didn't give a damn about what I wanted.

I sat on the floor, somehow knowing that if I went back to bed, I would just need to come right back. The toilet and I have developed a relationship during the last few weeks. I see the toilet more than I see Alexa. I didn't have "morning" sickness. I had "night" sickness, it always started at around ten and went through the night. Though when I Googled "morning sickness" I found out that it could happen at any time during the day. It didn't make sense why they didn't just call it "sickness" but whatever.

I haven't been feeling well enough to go to work. I tried at first and it was fine for the first few weeks when I came back from California and then something changed. One night, nausea kept me from sleeping and that was the first night of many that I spent on the floor next to the toilet.

I was really hoping this wasn't a view into my future for the rest of this pregnancy. I was tired. I looked tired. I just wanted to sleep through the night.

I had my first doctor's appointment on Friday and I was hoping for reassurance. Sometimes I wished I had a friend to talk to about this. Someone that knew what I was going through. I'd never missed my mother more than these last few weeks. She would tell me it was normal. She would stay up with me. She would hold me and kiss the top of my head to make me feel better.

I didn't even realize I was crying until I tasted the salty tear on my lip. I was a mess.

The sound of my phone vibrating on the nightstand makes me frown and scramble up to my feel with a groan. It was late. Probably around four in the morning. Alexa was sleeping in the next room. Who could it be?

My eyes widened when I looked at the caller ID. I felt my heart beating hard against my chest.

"Damian? Are you alright?" I answered, pressing the phone hard against my ear.

"Rebecca," he said. "Yes, I'm okay. Sorry. Did I wake you?"

I felt relief go through my body. He was okay yet he didn't sound okay. I knew something was wrong with him by the sound of his voice. I sat on the bed slowly and faced the T.V. Pirates of the Caribbean was on though I had it on mute, not wanting to wake Alexa up.

"No, you didn't."

It was his turn to sound concerned. "Why? Are you alright?"

I half smiled. "Yes...and no. I can't sleep. I've been up vomiting...or at least trying to."

"Oh. Sorry. I wish I could do something to help."

"It's okay. I know it's part of growing a baby." I smiled weakly. "I wish you were here though."

"Well, that's actually why I was calling you. I'm at the airport about to board a plane to Nevada."

I frowned. "Really? I though you weren't coming until tomorrow."

A few weeks ago, Damian told me his plans about coming to stay with me until we were both able to return to California together. At first, I didn't know if it was a good idea just because of his clinic. He had never left it for a long period of time but Damian insisted so I just went with it. Now, I was so glad he was coming to me. I missed him terribly. I knew it would have gotten worse when Alexa left to New York next week so I was happy Damian was coming. Besides, I hadn't been able to hire an agent to sell the house yet because I'd been too sick to do anything lately. With Damian here, he would be able to help me with that so we could leave sooner. But he wasn't supposed to come until Thursday which was tomorrow, so he could be here for the first doctor's appointment. I knew he had already purchased the plane ticket for tomorrow which meant he had bought another one for today which confirmed that something was up with him.