>>CHAPTER 1<<

>>CHAPTER 1<<

Alert, I woke up.

"Relax Marco, it's just me..." Jean stroked my back.

Breathing hard, I let out a laugh. "Oh my god Jean! You startled me! The way you were shaking me I thought maybe titans broke through the wall or something!"

Jean blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Nah... I just wanted to wake you up..."

I smiled at my friend and grabbed my pillow. "Well..." I then threw the pillow at his face and laughed. "Next time you wake me up, don't shake me would ya?"

Jean laughed and threw the pillow back at my face. "Alright Freckles!"

The pillow hit me right in the face and I laughed. "Aw... I think you hit some freckles off my face..." I said as I poked my nose.

"I still see too many freckles to count if you ask me..." Jean snickered.

"Um I have 83 freckles for your information!" I joked.

"You counted?"

"No." I giggled. "I'm just messing with ya Jean."

Jean and I shared a laugh and then slipped out of bed. I quickly grabbed my harness and slipped it on, having to pick at certain straps to ensure proper placement. I looked in the full body mirror in the room, and fixed my shirt collar.

"You look so beautiful Marco..." Jean teased as he stood in the door way, haunched over with one hand on the wall for support as he adjusted a strap around his foot. I looked to him and saw he had a smug grin on his face.

"Well thank you, I try to look pretty." I joked. I then went over to the bed and sat down as I slipped my feet in my boots. I pulled them up, a bit over my knees just when Jean sat down beside me and did the same.

"You know what's for breakfast?" Jean asked as he pulled up his boots.

I shook my head. "Afraid not Jean, sorry."

Jean moaned. "I hope it's better than yesterday..."

I laughed. "Yeah..." I then stood up and stretched. "I will meet you in the dining hall, alright Jean?"

Jean nodded his head as he adjusted a few straps on his own harness. I giggled and left the room. I walked down the long hall and finally entered the dining hall. Lots of scouts were already eating, but a few were still grabbing their rations.

I stepped in line, behind Eren. "Good morning Eren." I said with a bright smile.

"Oh, hey Marco." Eren said as he took his rations. He looked all around me, and smiled. "Hey, where's that horse of yours?"

"What?" I was confused. "My horse is in the stables... Isn't she?"

Eren laughed, but then stopped. "Oh, there it is... See ya later Marco..." Then Eren glared at something behind me. "Jean..." I then turned to see Jean standing behind me. I turned back to Eren but he moved on and found a seat by Mikasa and Armin.

I smiled and took my rations.

"What did he want?" Jean asked as he received his rations as well.

"Oh, we were just greeting each other... He also called you a horse I think." Jean growled after I had told him what Eren said.

"Shut up Jaëger..." He mumbled under his breath. "Come on Marco, let's sit down." I nodded and followed my friend. We sat down alone at a table. I sat beside Jean, and slowly began eating my food. I wanted to savor the food since there wasn't much.

Jean kept looking over at Eren... Well more like glaring. He changed his gaze to his food.

"What's wrong Jean? You seem under the weather all of a sudden." I asked as I placed a hand on my friend's shoulder. "Come on, you can tell me.

Jean let out a loud sigh. "I just wish there were no titans Marco... Everyday I worry about who is going to die the next day... I then think about how I am probably going to die soon."

"You aren't going to die soon Jean. You are a leader!" I tried cheering up my friend.

"How can I be leader when I worry far too much? I never should of became a scout with you Marco..."

"Well, what made you join in the first place?" I asked.

Jean glanced at me and then back down at his food. "I... I don't know... I thought maybe I wouldn't be treated bad like the other regular people who live in the walls... I thought maybe if I joined the Military Police Brigade with you, we would be able to hang out and be treated better than how I was treated before I joined the scouts... But now I see that putting the life of others, you, and my own is not worth it."

I felt touched by my friend's words. I blushed a bit, hoping he couldn't notice. "It's all for a good cause Jean... And it's too late to go back. Just don't worry so much."

"I can't! I keep worrying that you, Marco, my only friend will end up dead because of me or because I was too scared to save you..." Jean had tears building in his eyes.

"Jean, you don't need to worry about me... I would never blame someone's death or my own on you. Never."

"But if you were gone Marco, I would have nothing..." Jean quickly wiped his eye, drying the tears that began to fall out of the corner of his eyes.

"Then I won't die..." I said as I looked my friend in the eye. "And that Jean, is a promise!"

Jean's lips curved into a small smile. "You can't promise me a thing like that. It's foolish!"

"Maybe I can't, but I just did! I will not die or leave you Jean, and that is a promise! And I never break a promise!" I smiled bright, trying to enlighten the depressing mood.

"Alright, just don't break that promise Marco or I will be so pissed at you!"

I laughed. "Alright jean..." I said as I finished off my food. Jean then let out a laugh as he ate the last pieces of food as well. Jean then stood up and stretched out real quick. I watched my friend for a minute and then did the same as he. I stopped a moment and smiled at him and whispered, "I promise you Jean, I will never leave you... Ever..."