>>CHAPTER 8<<

>>CHAPTER 8<<

"Alright Marco, You have everything?" Nadia asked as she stood at the door way.

"Yeah... I didn't have anything to begin with, remember?" I teased.

"Alright then..." Nadia said as she lead me out to the front porch. I stood by the door, when suddenly something jumped up on me. Nicholas.

"Don't go Marco!" Nicholas pleaded as he tugged on my good wrist (the other one was fully healed, but still a bit stiff).

"Nicholas, the kind man must go. He is a scout and must go back to work." Nadia scolded.

"I'll miss you Marco..." Nicholas whispered under his breath as he let go of me.

I knelt down to look Nicholas in the eyes and ruffled his hair. "Don't worry Bud, I'll stop by when I can." I smiled at him and then to his father, mother, and Ingrid.

"Mister Marco sir," Ingrid butted in. "My little brother and I got you a gift..."

I cocked my head to the side. "Really?" I wasn't expecting a gift of any kind.

Ingrid nodded as she pulled out a small box with a red ribbon tied around it. She handed it to me, and I untied it, taking off the lid. I smiled as I glanced at the object inside.

"It's a good luck necklace..." Nicholas said as he stood beside me and peered in the box. I pulled it out and held it in my hand. I flipped it over looking at the detail and craftsmanship. It was a little wooden man with the wings of freedom on his back (actual wings not the emblem).

"I love it..." I whispered as I had put it on over my head and placed the charm neatly on my chest. "Thanks..." I smiled at the whole family. "Thanks for caring for me for so long. I will pay you all back when I get the chance."

"No need." Christopher said as he held up a hand. "It was to help a man in need... I've been there..." Christopher smiled at me and gestured me to get up and leave.

I straightened up and dusted my legs off. I handed the family their box, and gave them each a hug. "Thanks for everything." I then looked down at Nicholas, who had tears in his eyes.

"Bye Nicholas..." I said and gave Nicholas the biggest hug. "Be good you hear?"

"Yeah..." His voice sounding forced.

"Well, I better go... Once again, thanks for everything." I thanked them all and waved as the family said their goodbyes. I then walked down the porch steps and started down their path to the find the road.

I looked up at the setting sun, and rising moon. It was wet out from all the rain we had received the past few weeks. I looked back at the family that waved and shouted "Goodbye!" And "God bless you Marco!".

Feeling touched I turned around and blew a kiss and then went back to walking down the long stone path. I pulled out the angel necklace and glanced at the wooden figure... I could tell the two children had must of received help from their father while making it.

I stopped walking for a moment and narrowed my eyes as I looked closer at the detail... I noticed the face had spots all over the cheeks. I let out a laugh when suddenly it hit me... The charm was me! "Oh Nicholas..." I whispered as I slipped the necklace under my shirt and went on my way.

I looked back up at the sky and saw the clouds coming in... It was going to rain again... Just my luck. But the rain wouldn't get me down... I was going to reunite with my best friend Jean Kirschtein once again... I missed him for so long and once I find him, I will finally be truly happy once more...