>>CHAPTER 5<<

>>CHAPTER 5<<

It has been the longest time since I had seen Jean, and was beginning to grow home sick. I could move around now, but still had to wear the bandages. I was sitting on a chair on the porch of the Hirsch's house. I sat there watching Nicholas and Ingrid play in the small yard.

I must have fallen asleep when something (or someone) landed heavily on my good leg, catching me off guard.

"What the?!" I shouted, startled at first. I then glanced down and noticed Nicholas sitting on my lap.

"You never told me that story mister!" He scolded.

"What story?"

"About... Your friend! Uh... Jean!" Nicholas pointed at me. "Tell me the story!"

A small smile crossed my face. "Alright. Jean and I were the best of friends before my accident. Jean looked a lot like you but taller, and more mature looking. We first met when we joined the scouts, and since then have been close friends.

Jean never really believed in himself, he had self-esteem issues you could say. It bothered me when he would put himself down so I would always encourage him and make him feel better. Jean and I used to do our chores together, and everything..."

"What were your chores?" Nicholas asked.

"Well, we would go to the stables and feed the horses, or clean up the dining hall... That kind of stuff."

"Oh." Nicholas looked at me. "Go on!"

I giggled. "Ok, ok. We were real close and the morning of my accident, Jean had told me how he regretted joining the scouts because he worried for me, so then I made this promise where I would never leave him and how I wouldn't die."

"Did you keep that promise?" Nicholas asked with a large grin.

"I... Don't know..." I whispered as I looked away from the small boy.

"Oh..." Just then Nadia opened the front door and called for me and Nicholas, telling us it was time to come in and wash up. Nadia took Nicholas and Ingrid, and went with them so they could take their bath, while I sat on my bed.

It had been two weeks since I replaced the bandaging and now the time had come again. I held out my right arm, and unraveled the bandaging around the wrist. Once the bandaging was removed I moved my arm around, flexing it and clenching my fist.

There was barely any pain anymore, and I was beginning to grow excited, I quickly (and carefully) unbuttoned my shirt and took it off. I removed the bandaging that wrapped around my torso. I poked a few ribs, and there was still a bit of pain. My leg had already healed quite a bit ago, so there was no need of anything there.

I smiled. This was great! This all meant I could go and see Jean soon! I could finally be back with my friend.

"Hang in there Jean... I'm coming home soon!"