>>CHAPTER 4<<

>>CHAPTER 4<<

((MARCO'S P.O.V.))

"How are you feeling this morning Marco? Still feeling quite a bit of pain in your ribs?"

"Yeah.." I said as I laid in a small bed in the house of the kind strangers who helped me. It has been a long time since my accident and I knew for a fact Jean was probably pissed and missing me.

I felt bad that I had no way of informing Jean I was alright, but I couldn't leave the bed for even a minute.

When I had left with that stranger, he brought me to see this middle aged man who knew a lot about medical care. The stranger talked with the older man, and the older man loaded me up in a two horse carriage and drove us to the stranger's house.

The middle aged man, tended to my wounds in a small bed that must have been the couple's bed. They had to give me a lot of alcohol and even knock me out to keep me still... At least that's what the stranger told me once I finally woke up after the operation.

The middle aged man was able to fix my ribs, my arm, and leg, however, it was going to be a very slow recovery. I had broken a few ribs, fractured something in my wrist, and had a badly sprained ankle -probably from tripping on the roof.

I was grateful to the middle aged man for helping me, and he informed me on things that would be able to speed up the healing process a bit. You know things like cleansing, rest, and barely any movement.

I was basically wrapped up like a mummy with several bandages, and laid in bed all day, but the family was kind and kept me company.

It turns out, the family was full of really nice people who were able to provide for me and my needs at the moment, and were glad to. The stranger I was talking about earlier, was Christopher Hirsch and the woman was his wife, Nadia Hirsch. The two children also turned out to be their four year old son Nicholas and their six year old daughter Ingrid.

Nicholas sure did enjoy keeping me company though!

"Hello Macko!" Nicholas said as he entered the room with a small piece of bread.

"Hey Nicholas, and I told you, it's Marco. Not Macko." I chuckled as the small blond boy approached me with the bread. He held it up with no expression. "For me?" I asked, not moving a single muscle as I laid still in bed.

Nicholas nodded shyly as he stood by my side. "It's my ration, but I'm more than happy to give it to you... Marco!" His eyes were a golden color, and he had a small skinny face. I smiled and opened my mouth as he fed me by hand (remember, I can't move).

"Thanks buddy..." I said after I swallowed.

Nicholas than pulled up a chair beside me and sat down. He looked at my face, as if he were concentrating real hard. Then he poked my cheek. "What's that?"

"You mean my freckles?" I asked with a chuckle.

He nodded. "The spots on your face."

"Yeah, those are freckles." I said bashfully.

"Hey Marco, could you tell me a story before we go to bed?" Nicholas asked quietly.

"Sure, what do you want it to be about?" I asked.

"Mommy said you were a scout from the trainees squad... Tell me a story about that!" Nicholas said with bright eyes.

I laughed. "Alright, although there isn't much to tell. I had a best friend Jean but that's about it."

"What did Jean look like?"

"Why, he looked..." I stopped. I gazed at Nicholas who sat there looking at me with no expression. My smile faded, and suddenly I felt like crying.

"He looked like what Marco?"

"He... He looked like you..." I whispered. I closed my eyes. I missed Jean so much. I just wished I wasn't such a klutz.

"What happened to Jean?"

"He... He is at home... Probably worrying about me..." I whispered as a tear escaped my eye.

"Don't cry Macko..." Nicholas said as he petted my head. "I'm sure Jean loves you and will be glad to see you when you return home!"

I smiled. "I hope your right Nicholas... And it's Marco!" I teased, as Nicholas laughed real loud.

"Nicholas!" Ingrid shouted as she entered the room. "Mother said it is time for you to leave Marco alone, he needs his rest."

"But Marco was gonna tell me a story about Jean." Nicholas said with a saddened expression. "Tell her Marco!"

I looked at Ingrid who's looks sort of reminded me of Christa. I smiled and looked at Nicholas. "Sorry bud, I need my rest. Doctor's orders."

Ingrid smirked at her brother. "Told ya!"

Nicholas stuck out his tongue at Ingrid. "Come on Macko! Please tell the story!"

"Maybe some other time Nicholas... Maybe after I wake up."

"Alright Macko!" Nicholas said as he planted a childish kiss on my cheek. "I hope you get good nights sleep Macko!" Nicholas whispered and then jumped off the chair and followed Ingrid outside of the room. I smiled as I watched the two.

Tears then escaped my eye, tears I was holding back from Nicholas so he wouldn't keep asking questions. After I really noticed who Nicholas reminded me of, I realized how much I missed Jean and how much I really loved him.

"I'm sorry if you're mad at me Jean, I promise as soon as I'm well, to come and see you... That is a promise. Jean, please don't stop fighting..."