XII - Strike One!

After dinner, the team decided to have a meeting, mostly listening to Shisui's briefing. "So, the first round is a written test. I guess that's not so surprising. You think you can handle that?"

Anko shrugged. "I don't even know what they were going to ask, how am I supposed to know?"

Shisui only glared at her, while turning his gaze to his other teammate. "Are you ready, Kaeru?"

"No," Kaeru answered truthfully, shaking his head, "I never passed the Academy, I've only been here for a few months. I don't know if I can do this."

"You can always cheat!" Anko grinned, "What do you think? I'll teach you how!"

"I won't cheat!"

"Actually, it's nothing to be ashamed of," Shisui commented, "I mean, it takes skill to be able to cheat successfully without getting caught. Besides, we're shinobi, we're bound to be dishonest at some point."

Kaeru crossed his arms, "I'm not cheating."

"But Kaeru-..."

"No. If I can pass without cheating, then I won't cheat."

Hearing this, Shisui sent Anko a look, which made her pout as she turned away. Then the Uchiha smiled at Kaeru. "Alright then, just tell me if you need any help."

And for the rest of the night, Kaeru stayed awake, memorizing every single book he could get his hands on.

| × | × | × | × | × |

The sun came up before they knew it. Kaeru, half-asleep, woke Shisui up and went to Anko's room. While the Uchiha prepared a quick breakfast of instant ramen for the three of them, Kaeru poured down a glass of cold water onto Anko's sleeping face.

"I can't wake you up," he reasoned, but really? Kaeru did it just for the fun of it. Heck, nothing compares to being chased down the halls by the half-sober Anko, dodging flying slippers, a hairbrush and two empty bottles of sake. Who knows where she stole them from.

After that, Shisui caught the pair of fools and dragged them back to his room. He also forced Kaeru to drink two cups of hot coffee, not giving a damn about the possible side effects.

Once they finished their breakfast, the team left their inn.

Kaeru was... quiet, most of the time. He barely got any sleep (not that he's complaining) with all the reading he did, and Shisui doesn't have the heart to stop him. The Hatake's antics were as crazy as usual, maybe even more, but he did so without many words.

It was still early, the streets weren't so crowded. Kaeru didn't seem as jittery as usual, which is good. Though Anko enjoyed it when Kaeru is hyper, happy and fueled by energy, she still likes it better when he's calm, just like how he is right now.

Honestly, this trip is a nice change for the three of them. Anko is tired of waking up at 5 every morning to finish all the errands Ibiki gave her. She was supposed to be his apprentice, but lately, it feels like she becomes his object of torture. Not that she blames him, Anko knows how hard his work has been for that Morino; but she wishes he could have held himself back from yelling at her all the time, pointing out her mistakes and keeping her awake with his drinking.

Shisui, too, needs a break from his clan. It was always too noisy, too busy for him to have the slightest peace and quiet with his mind. First the over-excited kids, then their annoying parents (with those sticks up their asses), and the worst are the elders. Almighty elders with their traditions and impossible expectations. Really, his uncle needs to control them. Oh, wait, Fugaku is just as messed up. Itachi is a kid, not a soldier, damn it!