One

I thought coming back to work after the Christmas closure would be a good thing, as if getting back into a routine would put my mind at ease and make me stop thinking about how sad my life is

I thought coming back to work after the Christmas closure would be a good thing, as if getting back into a routine would put my mind at ease and make me stop thinking about how sad my life is. It all came to a head when I attended the New Year's Eve party at Isaac's house and saw a bunch of teenagers with a better love life that I had. Honestly, I never thought I'd be jealous of eighteen-year-olds but that night I was. 

It put things into perspective for me and this year, I decided that I would get my life together. I'm thirty-five years old and I have nothing to show for it apart from my work, which is something, I suppose, but it wasn't enough. All my friends were settling down, having babies and getting married while I was stuck in my office, stuck in love with a woman who will never want me and stuck in a life that I hadn't chosen for myself. 

To make matters worse, though, was the fact that only a few weeks ago, I kissed Lyanna Saunders, the woman I've been constantly arguing with for the past few years. Even though we've known each other since we were children, we were never friends and I can't say I know her all that well. The problem with Lyanna is that she's very private and she'll only let you see the person she is on the surface; beneath that, you'll never know who the real Lyanna Saunders is, however, that kiss we shared, it almost felt like I was being let in, even for the briefest of moments. 

Only, just as quickly as it happened, those walls around Lyanna went back up again and made the last few days in work before Christmas almost unbearable. I tried to talk to her about what happened, wanted to tell her that it meant nothing and that it would never happen again, but whenever I got close to her office, she would get up, shut the door and close the blinds. The assistant that we share but it really more at Lyanna's beck and call would go out and buy Lyanna lunch and I wouldn't see her for the rest of the day, which made it really difficult to talk to her. 

So I've got that to contend with too. Perhaps coming back to work wasn't going to bring me closure after all. 

"You've got that far away look in your eyes," I heard a voice sound from my doorway. Looking up, I see Andie Hamilton watching at me, an amused smile on her lips. "Penny for your thoughts?"

I shake my head and sit upright, rolling out my shoulders. "My thoughts are a little more expensive than that," I laugh. Uncontrollably, my eyes shift to Lyanna's office across the way and I watch her carefully as she works. "If only everyone else had her work ethic."