Twenty-Eight

"Boss, turn that frown upside down," my idiot intern tells me as we meet in the middle room between his office and mine

"Boss, turn that frown upside down," my idiot intern tells me as we meet in the middle room between his office and mine. Logan Leahy is only here because I literally can't say no to either Martha or my sister, Nina. If I had my way, I'd have fired him weeks ago because he's very annoying, albeit talented. "Why are you looking like someone killed your puppy?"

Ok, so maybe I've been slightly more irritable than usual this week but I have good reason to be. Last week, Lyanna announced that she was taking a few days off work to take Max to the Isle of Wight, where Max's paternal grandparents live. The school term ended on the last week of June and while Lyanna and Kit have been juggling keeping their son entertained for the past two weeks, they've finally decided that he might benefit from some outdoor time that London cannot afford. With that in mind, Lyanna's taking the beginning of this week off before Kit flies out and takes the latter part of the week. 

I hated the fact that she was gone. Ever since we started dating, I haven't gone more than a day without seeing her, so to have already gone forty-eight hours since I last saw her, I was almost dying. Yes, we're spoken on the phone and we text non-stop but I miss kissing her, holding her hand, wrapping my arms around her and cuddling her. It isn't about the physical, it's the emotion and without the safety of that, I'm in a foul mood. How did I end up here? Only a few months ago, Lyanna and I were at loggerheads and now, I'm craving her when she is and isn't here. 

"Dude, you need to go out and have fun," Logan tells me before he starts pushing his portfolio towards me. Being an architect student at UCL, Logan had wanted to pad out his CV with an internship at a top architectural firm and Saunders & Taylor had been his first choice. Given that we don't take on interns, both Martha and Nina lobbied heavily for us to take him on and eventually, I relented. Somewhere along the way, I'd become his mentor and every week, we sit down to evaluate his portfolio so his work can be critiqued in a constructive way. "Maybe we could get all the guys together and go out for some beers later, help you forget that your girlfriend is hundreds of miles away."

Looking up from the presentation book in front of me, I stare at Logan. "First of all, what would help me forget that Lyanna is hundreds of miles away is if people stopped reminding me about the fact that she's hundreds of miles away." Logan pulls some sort of face at my comment, like he doesn't really care that he's done the one thing that I don't want anyone to do. Sighing heavily, I lean back in my chair and fold my arms. "Anyway, the guys aren't exactly in a good place right now. Dan and Sam are still not speaking. I'm on the fence about wanting to maim Sam. Elias and Isaac aren't exactly taking right now, either. Plus, it's still debatable on whether Isaac wants to kill Sam or not. Some days, he will guillotine the guy and then on other days, they're playing at being best friends."