Four

"Here's the problem with working in the same office space as Lyanna," I say out loud as I throw my head back and groan

"Here's the problem with working in the same office space as Lyanna," I say out loud as I throw my head back and groan. Sipping the beer that Isaac had given me just after dinner, I play with the bottle in my hand and shake my head. "She has habits."

I'm not sure why but ever since I found out Lyanna was going on a date and it was someone who wasn't her boyfriend- or ex-boyfriend as it now transpires- I've been distracted by everything she does. It quickly meant that I was getting familiar with all her quirks and while some were funny, the rest were driving me crazy. It annoyed me that she would run her fingers through her hair for most of the morning before tying it up at lunchtime. The fact that she always has her favourite music playing in the office was killing me. The worst habit she had though, was smiling and brushing her fingers through her hair while listening and singing along to whatever song was singing. 

Charlotte was laughing to herself while Isaac rolled his eyes. I don't think they're taking my concerns seriously and these people call themselves my friends; the only person on my side is Martha Fletcher, Isaac's eighteen-year-old daughter. She reaches over to me and pats my shoulder before picking up her own beer bottle and clinking its neck against mine. 

"Sam has habits," Martha explains, discussing her quasi-boyfriend, Sam Courtenay. They've been an almost-couple for a while and are finally testing the waters that little bit more, although, I have to say, I'm not a fan of this development. It's great to see Martha happy because I see her as my own daughter but I don't see them working out. At least, not right now. That said, I plaster on a fake smile and not let it show. "It's part of the reason I-"

Martha's abrupt ending made us all look in her direction, Charlotte and I staring wide-eyed while Isaac simply scoffed and finished her sentence for her by saying, "Love him?"

Instead of answering, Martha blushes and picks up her glass of wine. After a few awkward minutes of silence, she checks her watch and dramatically announces that she's left her iron on and needs to go and turn it off before her house burns down. Ignoring her father, Martha pauses to give Charlotte a kiss on the cheek and waves at me, reminding me of our planned lunch on Friday as she runs out the door.