Thirty-Four

Ok, so here's the thing-

Michael, I think you and I need to have a chat about-

Babe, see, what I'm trying- and failing- to say is-

"Lyanna!" Michael snapped at me over the breakfast. Looking up at him from my coffee mug, I make a sort of 'hm' noise and watch as he scoffs and shakes his head. "You're not even listening."

Placing the mug on the table, I push my hair off my shoulders and smile. "I'm listening. Now. I'm listening to you now. Say it again."

"It's not important," Michael sighs, placing another spoonful of cereal into his mouth. When he finishes, he pushes the bowl away and turns to Max, asking him a hundred and one questions about how he feels about school starting back in a week. "Well, before you head back, how about you and I make some plans? Plan One: pick Isabella up from the airport on Wednesday."

While Max tried to play it cool, both Michael and I caught the gleam in his eye when he heard Isabella's name. I'd suspected for a while that Max's friendship with Michael's sister went a little deeper than them being 'friends' but at the same time, Max has a girlfriend, although I have yet to be formally introduced to Amelie Emmerson. I wasn't entirely thrilled that Max had caught feelings for another girl while already dating Amelie- especially given that I've been screwed over in practically every relationship I've ever had- but I wasn't going to lecture the kid. Michael, too, had told me he was going to keep out of it all; he wasn't going to start playing cupid between his sister and his step-kid. 

Plan Two was something that the two men knew about but was something that I wasn't supposed to know about. Listening to them talk in code, I rolled my eyes and went back to brooding over my coffee mug, mulling over the speech I needed to give Michael and when would be the best time to do that. 

Tonight? Tomorrow? Next week? It can't be next month and next year will definitely be too late. No, it would have to be sooner rather than later otherwise the moment will have passed. I'll ask Kit to have Max tomorrow night, I'll cook us dinner and then we can sit down and I can tell him.